arhi

add surface pattern by varying extrusion rate on the perimeters

well varying speed only or extrusion rate only or both speed and extrusion rate we can influence the visible pattern perimeters give to our prints ...

e.g. this is what you get by varying extrusion rate only (available in another commercial slicer as paid feature), it's ideal to e.g. produce a wood grain effect on the print:
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
on the other hand just changing speed (also called "Velocity Painting") is perfect for vase mode objects that are transparent or semi transparent, would probbly do wonders for lithophanes too... (lot of info here, postprocessing software etc.. https://www.velocitypainting.xyz/blog/ )
02A_0269sharp.jpg
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
zemlin

Re: add surface pattern by varying extrusion rate on the perimeters

I've seen examples of that in vase-mode prints - never solid prints. It's a very cool concept and would be fun to play with for sure.
arhi

zemlin wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm I've seen examples of that in vase-mode prints - never solid prints. It's a very cool concept and would be fun to play with for sure.
yes, vase mode velocity prints are cool, not too visible on non transparent objects and not too visible on non vase prints ... not sure the current script that modifies the gcode knows how to deal with solids..

the varying extrusion on the other hand works great on non transparent filled objects as you can see on the pictures as it actually changes the perimeter surface... attm I think only kisslicer supports this (as paid feature) but afaik there's no patent and any slicer can implement the same technique and, for me, it's even more important and usable then velocity painting. Now combo of velocity painting and perimeter flow speed might be the next wow in 3d printing, who gets there first will surely gather many followers ....
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
SweHogelid

+1 :)
That would really add an fun and useful option!
ryaske

I want this!! That wood grain looks awesome
LarryC

ryaske wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm I want this!! That wood grain looks awesome
Another vote for this feature too!
arhi

ryaske wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm That wood grain looks awesome
it looks & feel great ... I think it's the major pattern I'd use with this feature :D .. cura pushed the boundary with the "fuzzy" surface but this work by kisslicer is freaking awesome...

p.s. the images I used in original post are not mine!!!

p.p.s. I did some tests with some ppl that do have these features and
- g-code created by the velocity painting looks good in simplify3d (gcode preview) when you switch the color scheme to show "speed"
- g-code created by the extrusion amount you can't preview with simplify3d so I'd add additional feature request for s3d to properly show extrusion width in the g-code preview
S3D-Chris

Great feedback everyone!

I'll certainly be sharing your ideas for varying extrusion rate on the perimeters with our developers.
Porcupineshiver

+1. This would be an awesome feature.

Return to “Feature Requests”