jonah1978

Auto backup of FFF profiles

Hello,

It would be great if we could have a way for the FFF profiles to backup automatically to a specified location. When there are lots of profiles it is very tedious to export them all every-time you make a few changes.

Thank you
ditesch

Re: Auto backup of FFF profiles

I agree backup should be made easier ... actually there is description how to backup by S3D anyway
jonah1978

No one else thinks this would be a good feature?
ryaske

I do think this is a greta idea.

I am constantly saving an FFF proflie once I arrive at settings that worked well for my print. This allows me to revert back to those settings even if I have since changed the process for printing another thing. What is annoying about this procedure for me is that hte file> save window seems to have a "last path" memory that is not consistent--- in other words when I save a gcode, I have ot browse to the correct directory first. Then when saving FFF, I have to re-browse to that same correct directory. If I neglect to do this, I accidentally save gcode or FFF in the folder of the other thing I printed. It would be great if I only had to browse to the new folder ONCE and it carried across all simplify3d save operations

Not sure if that makes sense but I would LOVE not having to save an FFF in the first place, It would save me a dozen clicks every time I print something
dm2pf

Re: Cloud Profile Sync

Are there any updates from S3D on this topic?

Automatic Export to / import from a certain location (on start / stop of the software) would come in very handy and should be easy to implement.
dynamite_dan

I've found a way...

Simply open notepad and enter the following text into it: (you'll need to edit the correct path to the Google Drive or other cloud provider location)

Code: Select all

@echo off
echo Restoring settings from backup.
reg import "C:\Users\dan\Google Drive\simplify3d.reg"
echo .
echo Starting Simplify3D.
echo .
echo *** Do not close this window or your settings will not be saved ***
start "Simplify3D" /D "C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-4.1.2" /WAIT "C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-4.1.2\Simplify3D.exe"
echo .
echo Exporting settings to backup.
reg export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\FFFWindow "C:\Users\dan\Google Drive\simplify3d.reg" /y
echo .
echo Done!
timeout /T 5
Once done, click on File / Save as. Change the type to "All files (*.*)" and then enter the filename as something like "Start S3D.cmd". The '.cmd' part is important since Windows will see it as system command script.

Hope it helps someone!

Dan
parallyze

dynamite_dan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 am I've found a way...
I wouldn't recommend doing so. So far you're only ex-/importing S3D-Software\FFFWindow.

That does not include all the settings required in many cases:

1. Depending on the profile settings (overrideFirmwareConfiguration) you'll be missing the Gcode\ hive where firmware config
is stored (steps per mm on x3g machines for example, FRM files).
2. The FFF\ hive does include changes to the profile which haven't been written to the profile permanently (update profile/last state).
So if you changed something like the extrusion width, closed s3d and started it on a different machine only importing FFFWindow
you'd be missing that, it's not been written to FFFWindow\ yet.
3. If stl models are used within the profiles, hive MainOptions -> key printerModelPaths is missing (and the files it points to)

The geometry key inside the FFFWindow hive seems to save position/size of the window. This might cause trouble when importing this
on different screen setups (single/dual/multi).

Another thing not known is how path/location info is created. If there's references to %appdata% they might work, references to %userprofile%
might cause trouble when it's a different user account on another workstation (permissions).

Using an export of S3D-Software\ including all hives below might be part of one way of backing up things. But it will not include everything
required to get up and running again in all cases. And backing up the whole hive will likely cause trouble on another machine because of the
activation status/keys included.

I'm pretty sure there's other caveats waiting... ^^
DarthRevan

As parallyze has noted, this isn't a full solution. The following may help clean up some of the issues identified.

The keys needed from FFFWindow are: profileDatabaseContents, profileDatabaseNames, and profileDatabaseVersions.
The keys for the currently loaded firmware config are found here: "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\Gcode"

Any contents from "%AppData%\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software" should be backed up. This will include the current application saved state as well as any custom bed models that come with S3D profiles.

Return to “Feature Requests”