Psychlist1972

Exclude element mid-print

When printing a whole bunch of items together (like a batch of 18 or 28mm figures), it would be nice to be able to pause the print and remove one of the items, and then resume. This is to prevent further printing of that part after it gets messed up, falls over, etc.

I assume the whole job ends up as one big slice so this may not be easy to do, but would help recovery when we see one part that isn't going to come out correctly, or which is causing a pile of spaghetti and little tails because it has fallen over.

Pete
shocksofmighty

Re: Exclude element mid-print

This is not possible with any printer at this point. However, if you use OctoPrint there are a couple of plugins that do just this. CancelObject uses comment tags in gcode to know which object is which and you can cancel an object on fly. There is also a plugin called ExcludeRegion that is similar but you actually use rectangles or circles to mark regions that will no longer be printed. I am a bit biased to the first one (since I wrote it) as it is much lighter weight and quite a bit cleaner in how it parses the gcode, but it does have the limitation that the slicer has to write the appropriate comments. This can be done in Simplify3D using one process for each object because it gives the "; process XXXX" comment. Hopefully they will add the needed comment lines in the next release: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10007

Return to “Feature Requests”