nkloski

[ADDED] sparse infill every X layer, with double extrusion

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 am

Another slicer I moved from (KISSlicer) did this, and it was super helpful:

-only print infill on X number layer (S3D already has this)
-on those infill layers, though, double the extrusion amount

...this saves having to print infill on that saved layer, but if you just let that setting go as it is right now, you get decreasing infill height, which becomes useless. And maybe I am using terms improperly, but essentially, if you are printing at .2mm then skip a layer, for that next layer that _will_ have the infill, treat the infill as a .4mm layer.

Obviously, this would be an advanced feature, because your printer would need to be able to handle that doubling of material flowing through the nozzle, but otherwise, I do not see much point in the "only print infill x number of layers" as part of a normal printing workflow.

Or, now that I think about it, maybe just a toggle switch that says "when skipping layers, increase infill height"...or something like that.

Thanks!

jimc

Re: Request: sparse infill every X layer, with double extrus

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

s3d already does this. when you set sparse infill to 2 it will only print infill every 2 layers but will double the extrusion amount so its thick and still filled to the correct height.

nkloski

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Oh! I tried this on 3x different prints, and the interior was getting more and more saggy as time went on....definitely not at the height of the outer layers...I wonder why that was happening...hmmm

jimc

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm

yeah that should not be. i dont get that at all. perhaps if the infill is really low % i could see it maybe happening just from the extrusions dropping between the spaces. my infill is always 30% or higher and i dont get any sagging.

just thinking.....if you were also printing at a high layer height like .25 and your nozzle is say a .35 then you might see this because a double layer height is .5 and a .35 nozzle cant print at a layer height that high. just a thought
Last edited by jimc on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nkloski

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 pm

That is probably exactly what I am seeing...I will try with more dense infill, thanks!

Return to “Feature Requests”