Akura2

Feature request: Adaptive layer height

I know that we can use multiple processes in S3D in order to change layer heights to speed up printing objects that have combined vertical and angled surfaces, but it would be nice to have this be an automatic thing so that we don't have to cross-section the model, figure out the layers, set up a different process, set the start and end print etc.

It would be nice if the software figured this out automatically so that you can set up a more complex model and not have to run 20 different process splits... I think CURA does this and it's free (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thx
wirlybird

Re: Feature request: Adaptive layer height

Check out Slic3r PE. It has a similar feature where you can make transitional layer height changes graphically rather than "by the number".

This would be a nice addition in S3D to have something similar.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for adding your interest to this previously requested feature. I'll be monitoring this thread to gauge interest in just such an addition.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Akura2

S3D-Jake wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm Thanks for adding your interest to this previously requested feature. I'll be monitoring this thread to gauge interest in just such an addition.
Thank you... it wasn’t titled with the same description so I couldn’t find it in the search, and it’s been a year since those posts... but thank you for chiming in

Hopefully we’ll see progress on this

Thx
grayed

I'll certainly add a request for this feature. It's free in Slic3r, it's free in PrusaSlicer (based on Slic3r) and if it's readily available in free hobby slicers it certainly ought to be available in a "professional" slicer that costs money for non-hobby users.
S3D-Jake

grayed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 pm I'll certainly add a request for this feature. It's free in Slic3r, it's free in PrusaSlicer (based on Slic3r) and if it's readily available in free hobby slicers it certainly ought to be available in a "professional" slicer that costs money for non-hobby users.
Thanks for your interest! While I agree this would be a great addition, there are a few reasons I can think of as to why this would be a more complex feature to add to our professional software as opposed to free alternatives. Most of which would relate to deciding how this would behave when used in conjunction with our already existing features that allow you to specify different settings (not just layer height) for different regions of your model. I’m sure the issues there aren’t impossible to solve but I’m sure they’re complex enough to warrant a bit of a think before assuming they’re easy to overcome.

I’ve documented the new interest here so our developers have a better idea of how much interest there is.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Profkanz

I agree that this would be a very useful feature.

Return to “Feature Requests”