Bmanderson82

Materials Manager

First off I just want to say that so far I’ve been enjoying S3D. With that said, and also considering I’m coming from cura 3.4.1 - I was hoping we could overhaul the materials manager a bit? I cura, I set my printing profile for everything except the material - it’s separate and dictates my nozzle temp and bed temp. I use a few different brands of both PLA, ABS, and PETG. As such, I’ve found this approach to be a major time saver. Does simplify 3D have any intention of a materials manager that’s a little more robust? It’s taken me a little while to get my printing profiles copied over from cura (due to the fact that S3D is in mm/min where as my cura settings are all mm/sec. or my layer heights being percentages in S3D where as they’re absolute values in cura) and this was one of the things I found myself wondering about. And if there was any hope of an option to replace mm/min with mm/sec any time soon? Or atleast a function to choose which I want.
timothyz

Re: Materials Manager

You can already change the settings from mm/min to mm/s. You can find that under the following menu, Tools > Options > Preferences > Speed Display Units.

I would also like better material profile settings, with maybe a settings manager? with this we should be able to choose which settings are tied to material and which settings are tied to, say, profile? That would make more sense than the current system.
timothyz

Now that 4.1 is here and there are no changes to the material profile system, I would like to bring this back into picture:

Look at Slic3r's profile system, it has everything needed to properly manage materials, and there is no reason to not have that wonderful ability in Simplify3D.

Please, please, please consider when working on future updates, it's been far to long without any real improvement in this area. I'm getting tired of modifying my FFF files to get some sort of material control back.

If the main consideration is to maintain interface continuity, maybe consider having the legacy version along with a new profile management system.

Hoping this gets some traction this go-around.
-Tim
S3D-Jake

Thanks for bringing this up again and for the great idea of including the legacy version as well! I've restated the notes on this topic for our development team.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”