dinsmoorc

More efficient use of Factory File and Source STL file

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:47 pm

I put a post in the general discussion section about whether a factory file needed to have an updated STL file loaded every time a revision was made to the STL. The answers suggested that you do need to remove and re-insert each new version of an STL file. This seems like a lot of un-necessary work especially for a user-designed file that may be very similar from one version to the next.

I would think it better if the factory file is linked to a STL file and as long as the filename and location are preserved the software would update on load to the latest saved configuration (in the location) and re-create the slicing process according to the process and other settings in the factory file. This would be much more efficient to not have to re-create part locations, different settings, supports, rafts etc from scratch. If you wanted to preserve an original factory file with the prior version you would not over-write the updated version and give it a different name (original_2 for example).

Ayres3D

Re: More efficient use of Factory File and Source STL file

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 am

What if you wanted to provide the factory file to someone else? What if you're working on versions - you'd need to have versions of factory files and versions of STLs.

My opinion is that the factory file should be sacrosanct and even if an STL is corrupted or changed, it should still work. Certainly having an easier "update model" option would be very helpful, but I think that changing it by default would be undesirable.

If it were an option, however: "Allow auto-updating"... then that would be a different matter.

wirlybird

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 am

Ayres3D wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 am
What if you wanted to provide the factory file to someone else? What if you're working on versions - you'd need to have versions of factory files and versions of STLs.

My opinion is that the factory file should be sacrosanct and even if an STL is corrupted or changed, it should still work. Certainly having an easier "update model" option would be very helpful, but I think that changing it by default would be undesirable.

If it were an option, however: "Allow auto-updating"... then that would be a different matter.
I agree with this. I think the factory file should be like a "finished" product. I really don't want the software to possibly alter it on its own.

S3D-Jake

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:13 am

I doubt there would be a change to the way factory files operate but I certainly think this is great feedback. What if there was to be an addition of some sort of "Project file" that is merely a link to the STL file so that if it does get updated it'll show as updated when the project file is loaded? Would that work to fill such a request? What other things would you want included in these "Project files"
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

wirlybird

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 am

Interesting idea Jake.

kurtnelle

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 am

+1 for this idea. I need it. I am constantly making changes to the stl file which requires me to update the model. This will usually occour after I've finished positioning the items, and setting up the processes for it, resulting in me having to start everything over.

Return to “Feature Requests”