EliW

Better Infill Control - 'Point of Origin'

Hey there. I've found myself often highly modifying the infill angles/design/etc. In order to make some bigger prints that are properly supported, and yet require minimal material. IE: I'm often printing large 6"x8"x4" size models but where I only want to use 200g of material cause I'm making a ton of them. So very careful tweaking of the infill settings, and I can manage to come up with a system that has infill supporting any bits I really need supported.

HOWEVER:

All the infill settings and printing of the infill, is based on 'centered on the build plate' pattern. If you move your model an inch to the right, suddenly the infill is all different since the infill pattern exists separate from your model.

This means that if I carefull design the infill to work for my model, I can then only print one at a time, centered in the build plate. If I try to print 2-3 at once. It all fails since the infill pattern isn't doing what I need.

I'd love an option for 'center infill pattern per model' vs 'center infill pattern on build plate'. So that I could design my infill, but then put multiple models down, and know that each one will be printed exactly the same.
S3D-Jake

Re: Better Infill Control - 'Point of Origin'

Great Idea! This would definitely be something would improve sequential printing of identical parts. I'll monitor this thread for user interest.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
EliW

Not even just sequential printing tho! Any printing of multiple parts at once. Since they would all be truly identical parts. Versus having 'random infill based upon where they were sitting on the build plate' as they do now.
EliW

I'm not even sure exactly how many people have noticed this behavior. Since if you are doing a 'normal' amount of infill (35% or more kinda thing like so many people seem to do) .. you don't really notice since you see so much infill anyway. It's only when you are trying to do super-minimal still it becomes really obvious
PhillipM

I've definately noticed it, as it causes me the same issue as the OP - if you have models that rely on the infill patterns being set you can only print them in singles, especially if you're tuning infill for stiffness in flexibles.
SusiT140V

+1 This and the general difficulty encountered adding and removing precise support is something that limits the usefulness of S3D for me.

The amount of times I have needed fine-grained automatic infill over large areas of a complex model, then only to have to spend up to an hour rapidly click on tiny bits of supports in long threads by rotating the object and doing it over and over again....

Arrrgh!! :)

Please can you do something about this?

How about adding a variable size 'brush' to the latter feature so that you can select varying sizes of support areas to add/remove?
Thank you for your consideration.

Susi
S3D-Jake

All great points! Thanks for the feedback everyone!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”