sstephan

choosing infill layer thickness same as perimeters

i think that the single extrusion line infill is pointless , even with 80% infill it does not add much to parts structural properties .
i wish i could choose infill width by number of layers , same as done for outer perimeters .
for example this is 3 layer wide honeycomb
5.jpg
i want to be able to make a 5 or 10 layer wide honeycomb infill , or 10 layer wide rectilinear infill .
as of now i can only make single layer wide rectilinear , which is very weak .
S3D-Jake

Re: choosing infill layer thickness same as perimeters

This sounds like you would like for the infill pattern to be broken up into multiple strokes of the same amplified pattern rather than just adjusting the density of the infill pattern, correct?

The infill is calculated volumetrically, so if you were to choose 75 or even 100 percent infill percentage, the amount of filament extruded will closely match the given percentage. If you need thicker lines, you can up the infill extrusion width percentage. If you need the lines to more firmly attach to the inner perimeter, you can adjust the outline overlap.

I'm happy to submit a request to our development team for more infill patterns or the ability to have the infill patterns include a thicker design rather than single lines extruded in the pattern specified, however I feel that most users would not be a fan of how much more time this would take to complete printing the infill pattern.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
wirlybird

This would exponentially increase time and filament use for no practical gain.
Looking at the example picture, basically what is being proposed is to increase the infil surface area per square inch. Increasing the infill percentage will do this effectively.

@S3D-Jake, doesn't increasing the infill extrusion width also increase the spacing between the extrusions such as with a rectalinear infil?
For instance (fictional numbers!) if I have a 20mm square and infill extrusion is at 100% and it make 100 infill lines/passes for one layer. If I set the infill extrusion width to 150% would I get a decrease in the number of extrusion passes from say 100 to 75 again fictional numbers for example?

Reason I am asking is that on some colors of PLA I am getting what appears to be under extrusion on solid top/bottom layers, not including first layer. Perimeters are good.
I was thinking to increase the infill extrusion width a little but was told it would also space the infill passes further apart so it wouldn't really help in my situation.
S3D-Jake

Yes, the infill extrusion width % setting will adjust the spacing. This is because the added volume being extruded will result in fewer lines needed to meet the specified infill %. To have the same number of passes and increase the infill extrusion % you will also want to then increase the infill % setting.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
wirlybird

S3D-Jake wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:15 pm Yes, the infill extrusion width % setting will adjust the spacing. This is because the added volume being extruded will result in fewer lines needed to meet the specified infill %. To have the same number of passes and increase the infill extrusion % you will also want to then increase the infill % setting.
Thanks. I am looking for a way to increase or adjust the extrusion multiplier fir infill vs. overall. I have some situations where perimeters print fine but infill acts like it is under extruding a bit. Increasing the extrusion multiplier will help correct it but as you may imagine it also causes over extrusion in other areas.
sstephan

wirlybird wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am This would exponentially increase time and filament use for no practical gain.
for you maybe .
it depends what you print .

for me it will be a gain for structural use .
for example this infill has no structural use for me
1.jpg
if i know i'll have a high load in the middle of the part , i prefer a thick line infill like this
2.jpg
in this case for example the choice would be around 5% infill , 6 line thick infill ,90deg angle .
so (example again) if i choose 10% instead of 5 there would be 2 90deg , 6 line wide lines like that .

also adding an offset option , so in the example i could move the infill line right or left . this can be useful if there is a hole in the part and you want the thick infill to pass where the hole is .
R15

That amount of choice would probably be quite difficult to implement. It seems simple on a rectangle, but wouldn't be on more complicated parts. It's much easier to just modify your part to have that thick line through the middle.

Return to “Feature Requests”