gerhardkorf

Outline under new fill-in layer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am

If you have a print that started to "Fill-in" a solid area as is the example of the Secret Butterfly Box Drawer (Attached .stl)

If you print this example on Fast with layer thickness of 0.3mm then you will get to layer 11 as per attached L11.png.
L12.png is the drawing of the layer on top of L11.png

You will notice there are no "outline" support for this new "Fill-in" layer that started in the middle (the top of the key area).
Therefor the new fill in layer that was created in the middle of this print, does not have any support below it on the edges.
It would have been better if layer 11 had in outline around the key like L16 but obviously the middle section also filled in with in this case 20% fill-in.

This will give the new "Fill-in" area of Layer 12 a solid foundation to bind the edges to and will improve all layers above it.
This new layer 11 outline will sit on all the various fill-in layers of layer 10 and therefore will have a very level structure.

An alternative to this would be to create a solid layer just before we add a new split fill-in. Therefore in this example, layer 11 would be a solid fill-in which will allow for the various fill-in section of layer 12 be all have support under it.

This second suggestion would be additional to the "Solid every x layers" option currently existing.
If detecting these layer are difficult, we could perhaps start with a text box, where the end user can specify which layers he want solid with a coma separated.

In this example, I could select something like: 11,15,18,26 and it will print layer 11 solid fill-in, as well as layer 15, 18 and 26 all solid fill-in.

Hope this helps improving Simplify3D even more. Thanks for a great product.
Attachments
SBFB-DRAWER.stl
(804.96 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
L12.PNG
L11.PNG

S3D-Jake

Re: Outline under new fill-in layer

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for the great feature idea! Have you printed the part below? Does the box have visible defects due to the lack of a perimeter being printed around the solid fill area?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

wirlybird

Re: Outline under new fill-in layer

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I know for fact that this is a very needed item.

I reported this issue also recently. The response was to use more infill. Not at all a practical solution in my case since a 10% increase in unneeded infill would have added 700 grams of material to the part which would have added 30 hours to the print and an exponential increase in cost.

Return to “Feature Requests”