Jacotheron

Single Nozzle, Multi-material or Multi-color options

Typically on a single nozzle machine, doing multi-material or multi-color was not very practical, until I saw the video by Make Anything (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2AjyowXX4). In this video he shows how to manually create multi-color 3D prints with a single nozzle with great results.

The method he uses is as follows:
  • Create a multi-color object as different STL files (the different colors being only 2 layers thick [he used layer height of 0.1mm]).
  • Using the "Align selected model origins" (under the Edit menu), he correctly place them in their locations.
  • Now comes the tedious part where he selects each part separately and slice only that one part (for 2 layers). Saving them in sequence.
  • Finally he prints them out 1 part at a time, without removing the previous prints from the surface.
Modern 3D printers support the M600 command for filament change, and if correctly implemented can be used to change filament during a print. Yes, it requires manually loading the new new filament, but still.

I propose a little bit of more automation in this process:
Being able to group objects into color and material groups (this way S3D determines the most efficient way to print these objects; for example all the 'white' objects first, up to 2 layers high; then all the other colors/materials for the first 2 layers). Next it goes into the next set of 2 layers, trying to continue off with the last color used for the previous 2 layers to speed things up. This repeats for the whole object. S3D add the M600 command (along with temperature changes as required by the different processes selected for each color/material group) at the right places.
Finally S3D also generates a note on the sequence the colors/materials will be requested (since someone will need to do this manually).

While I agree that this multi-color/material is not practical for creating the same objects as can be made with multi-head printers (simply due to the number of filament changes being so high), being able to do this for a few layers typically will be awesome.

I have used this technique now for a few weeks, combining PETG and Flexible filament to create phone cases (different colors are in PETG). My latest one, have 7 filament changes total (excluding the change for the 1st color), with all colors and materials used on layers 1-4, then an internal white backing on layer 5-6 (internal is not visible from outside, as it is surrounded by the flexible) and then continues with flexible to the top. I can share this file, if anyone is interested in how it works and looks inside of S3D, after manually assembling it (made for a Wanhao Di3, with a Flexion Extruder, running the Repetier V1.0dev).

Currently this process takes me more than an hour of extra preparation, which would be nice if we can have it reduced.

Return to “Feature Requests”