Miklb

Make sequential printing easier

Hello,

I propose an improvment to help the user to make sequential printing less complicated to configure. For example, when we duplicate an object in the dialog box you could add tick to also duplicate the process. The new processed could be directly linked to only one model.
At the moment it takes a long time to create this for a lot of pièces: duplicate part, duplicate the process, group process and attribute a good part at good process by editing each one.

The problem is the same when you have à lot of parts that are differents. You could add an option to make an automatic duplication of processes corresponding to the part number. Each process will be automatically linked to each part.

Thank you !
Raise3D Pro Plus 2

Re: Make sequential printing easier

And also printing head size indicator... for right placing parts on the build plate. Is not easy with 2 extruders machines...
Miklb

Yes it could be a good thing but I don't believe it will be implement (quickly so...). I have planned to draw my printing head to do this check. So allows us to replace the standard nozzle by the one we could draw could be a good thing to do a visual check ! However, implementing an automatic clash check would be even better !..
S3D-Jake

These are some great ideas for improving the setup process for sequential printing. I've combined the feedback with some other really good ideas from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11754 for our dev team to look at. Also, I will continue to monitor both threads closely. :geek:

Our development team is interested to know how this can best be improved for our users that utilize sequential printing regularly. So every bit of feedback on this topic is enormously helpful!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
jens.alsted

Select 120 objects for sequential printing

Hi

I have an issue with sequential printing. It woks, hurray, but also i am lazy. I have 120 small thin objects that all fits under print head clearance. The only way that i get this to print sequentially with same process is by:
1. add-new-process
2. select support
3. select "select models"
4. Select "Select none"
5. Find and select the object in the very long list
6. Select ok
7. Select ok
Is there there a smarter way to do this?

Best
Jens
adlerej

I'm having the same issue as jens.alsted. I don't quite have 120 models but I have so many that are just duplicates of the same model but need to be printed sequentially to improve print quality. My current build plate has 40 -- 8 copies of 5 models -- and I'd like them all to print sequentially with the same settings. Sometimes I want different settings per-source-model and in the first time printing an object I may want to manually set a few different process parameters but that's usually much fewer and a manual process anyway. In general if printing a lot, I want all copies of a model the same process but sequential.
rtm2013

While I agree with most of what's been already suggested, there is an inherent conflict in the process driven workflow of S3D and the proper implementation of SP that I think would require a major redesign.
The crux of the problem is that SP is being implemented as an add-on to a workflow which revolves around processes and attaching models to them, whereas SP needs a workflow where models take priority and have processes attached to them.
This way the printer order sits higher in the hierarchy and changing model order doesn't then affect the groupings and relationships of the processes underneath them.

One way I imagine it being possible to implement is to push the decision to sequentially print up front, even before importing models. With 'SP mode' switch on, models are first imported and laid out according to print order, then the usual processes, groupings etc are all applied as usual afterwards. If at any time a decision to change the layout and thus print order is made, this can be done without affecting the processes and relationships already made underneath them.
I'm by no stretch a programmer, so happy to hear from anyone with deeper insight and whether what I've said holds any truth or not.
rtm2013

One feature that would help within the current workflow is to add a column next to the process list with a drop down menu to select which model it applies to. As mentioned by others, there are a lot of clicks when creating or duplicating a process and selecting a single model for it to apply to. Same goes if you decide to change the process order, there are a lot of clicks to re-associate the models to the processes.

Another thing to reduce clicks is to have a check box in the preferences which enables/disables 'automatically associate all models to created or duplicated processes'. Right now if you duplicate a process, it's a matter of diving into each edit process window to deselect all models, then select the one you want.

And for those of us that add custom g-code, a before/end of process tab would be useful in the scripts section to add specific behaviour between processes. I currently manually add a full Z lift/drop before any X/Y travel move after each process to ensure that there is no risk of print head collision when moving onto the next print. This also means you can utilize the full potential of sequential printing without being limited by your gantry height clearance. Pictures of the difference in g-code preview are attached.
Attachments
Possible collision when travelling to next model when X/Y/Z moves are executed at the same time
Possible collision when travelling to next model when X/Y/Z moves are executed at the same time
Full Z lift avoids possible collision and removes gantry limitation
Full Z lift avoids possible collision and removes gantry limitation

Return to “Feature Requests”