wirlybird

Re: Flashforge Creator3

DarthRevan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm
wirlybird wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm I am considering adding this printer as another production printer. What are your opinions on it so far?

Thanks.
It includes some annoying safety features that would cause me to not recommend it for a production environment printer. Most frustrating of them would be the fact that back to back prints will include a ton of downtime for the printer waiting on the nozzles and bed to cool down before being allowed to heat up for the next print.
Hmm. I think the cool down won't bother me too much. My larger printers are usually doing long running prints and the time between prints can be a day or two of down time!
I do a lot of ABS on my larger ones so I do wait for those prints to completely cool before removing anyway.

Thanks for any insight on this printer though.

For the cost of it I would have to justify the IDEX system. The only real use I would have for it at this point would be for soluble supports but I don't know it that is worth it.
DarthRevan

I haven't tried solubles with the IDEX system at all yet so I can't speak to how well that would work out. In my experience, mostly UM3, so long as you lower the resting temperature of the support nozzle, you can get great results.
JoshuaYates

DarthRevan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 pm
JoshuaYates wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am ...This hasn't been tested on large models.

Just place a small model in the centre of the build plate and slice from their. Once you are happy with how it works, play around with different sizes and positions to see if there are any limits.
Simplify3D doesn't provide support for duplication and mirror modes. The Creator 3 firmware requires a specific feature that is only present in FlashPrint in order to properly orient duplication mode parts.
I'm not sure I follow. The profile I uploaded does allow duplication mode to work (have been using this profile for almost a week now).
It does have a restriction that it limits the nozzle distance to be around 3" although I'll be doing more testing later.

If you truly want to duplication print without restriction, create a file using flash print, open it up in a text editor (notepad++) Create a file using simplify3D, copy only the printing aspect of the gcode and replace it within the flash print file.

I did the above method for a few days and it does work well if you need to print something large on both sides. I personally don't at the moment so I use the profile I made.
Last edited by JoshuaYates on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaYates

wirlybird wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm I am considering adding this printer as another production printer. What are your opinions on it so far?

Thanks.
I've been printing since 2015 and have access to 9 3D printers ( 5 are flash forge creator pro's).

It depends what you want the machine for. I say it's great regarding a machine for a company and a very good first printer. I'ts simple enough to set up and the safety features for an experienced user are annoying but the cool down time is due to the nozzle having to touch the build plate in order to calibrate the Z height. If you do learn to use flash print, you can send files to the machine over your network instead of using the provided USB stick.

My 2 issues with the machine are the lack of glass build plate which I find a MUST for ABS (I only print ABS) as you are forced to use a raft. The other issue is the nozzle height's don't seem to be adjustable.

If you want a printer to get started, the flash forge creator pro's are a much cheaper option.
JoshuaYates

This is a 100% Fully working profile for ditto printing as it should be. it now says duplication mode on the screen and has the correct distance between the nozzles. You are able to cancel 1 nozzle if their is a failure on one side.

It looks messy in the script section but this works exactly the same as flashprint so please don't edit anything in their unless you know what you are doing.

It saves the file in a .g format which you can open in flashprint and send to the printer over a network connection or just save to the USB stick.

I got this working by creating a CalPad in the top right corner, this is to level the nozzles but I used it just to get it to create the correct spacing apart for the nozzles.

It will do the circle in the top right corner which the right nozzle does first before both nozzles begin the raft process in duplication mode.

I have also supplied a .g file which you can test out. This is ABS 235 Nozzle 120 Bed. This was made using the new profile I have uploaded.
Attachments
FlashForge Creator 3 Duplication Print Version 2.fff
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Height Test Working.g
(439.21 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
JoshuaYates

JoshuaYates wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am ...This hasn't been tested on large models.

Just place a small model in the centre of the build plate and slice from their. Once you are happy with how it works, play around with different sizes and positions to see if there are any limits.
Simplify3D doesn't provide support for duplication and mirror modes. The Creator 3 firmware requires a specific feature that is only present in FlashPrint in order to properly orient duplication mode parts.
This is the profile for duplication mode working correctly. I believe if you want mirror mode, change the D2 value to D1 at the end of the M118 line.
Attachments
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
john_s_sub

Hi Joshua,

Tried the fff config however it appears (at least for me) the duplicate printing is trending to the left. So what happens is that either though it appears ok in flashprint the left hand side of the right extruder print, prints over the top of the right hand side of the left extruder print.

Can you point me where I need to change x y setting to push the prints into their right areas of the build plate? thanks

Also, need to be careful cancelling single extruder (i did the right) - left knocked the right extruder when i went to cancel it
DarthRevan

john_s_sub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:05 am Tried the fff config however it appears (at least for me) the duplicate printing is trending to the left. So what happens is that either though it appears ok in flashprint the left hand side of the right extruder print, prints over the top of the right hand side of the left extruder print.

Can you point me where I need to change x y setting to push the prints into their right areas of the build plate?
To elaborate on what I eluded to earlier, unless you accurately reproduce the "calpads" that FlashPrint is putting into their files you will see that this overlapping of the build area for left and right print heads occurs consistently. I've emailed with FlashForge Support about it. It's the calpads that are missing from S3D generated prints.

JoshuaYates

john_s_sub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:05 am Hi Joshua,

Tried the fff config however it appears (at least for me) the duplicate printing is trending to the left. So what happens is that either though it appears ok in flashprint the left hand side of the right extruder print, prints over the top of the right hand side of the left extruder print.

Can you point me where I need to change x y setting to push the prints into their right areas of the build plate? thanks

Also, need to be careful cancelling single extruder (i did the right) - left knocked the right extruder when i went to cancel it
Hello,

I'm not sure I understand the issue you are having.

The profile I uploaded places a calibration pad into the top right corner of the build plate. After this, the right nozzle and left nozzle work to half the build plate each and builds the actual model as required. I use a bigger raft to compensate for the height difference between the nozzles.

If it does not do the calibration pad in the top right corner first, it will not correctly locate the extruders so they use half the build plate each.

I've reattached the one I use to date with any modifications I have added since my last upload.
Attachments
IMG_20190916_140011.jpg
IMG_20190916_135629.jpg
(53.13 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
JoshuaYates

If you use the profile I have supplied "Version 2" check to make sure the start script inlcudes the gcode you can see in the image.

Also make sure the additional terminal commands looks the same as the image.

You can then open up your generated g code to ensure the calpad has been added into the file.

If you have issues, if you can create a file with a random object, send me over the gcode file and I can see if something is missing.
Attachments
Staring Code.png
Gcode.png

Return to “Feature Requests”