Jimboslice

Renaming Connection Port Names

So I just started using Simplify3d with my printers and have one tweak that I'm looking to make to the settings that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Under the Machine Control Panel you have the Port drop down menu where for me there is \\.\COM 5 for my Lulzbot, and USB Device: 915/5/23C100...etc. for my MakerBot Mini and a slightly different number for my MakerBot Replicator 5th Gen.

I am using these printers at work where I teach people how to use 3D printers, It would make it much easier to instruct people how to switch printer connections if I could name these something identifiable.

If that is not possible is there a way to save which Port connection is linked to a Printer Factory File? As currently I have a different Factory file for each printer on the desktop, where people can quickly select what printer they want to use without having to switch processes and then open a new window to print simultaneously.

Thanks!
S3D-Jake

Re: Renaming Connection Port Names

Thanks for your request for this feature. I've documented the details of your request for our development team and will continue to watch this thread for additional details or user interest.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
wirlybird

Re: Renaming Connection Port Names

Jimboslice wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 pm So I just started using Simplify3d with my printers and have one tweak that I'm looking to make to the settings that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Under the Machine Control Panel you have the Port drop down menu where for me there is \\.\COM 5 for my Lulzbot, and USB Device: 915/5/23C100...etc. for my MakerBot Mini and a slightly different number for my MakerBot Replicator 5th Gen.

I am using these printers at work where I teach people how to use 3D printers, It would make it much easier to instruct people how to switch printer connections if I could name these something identifiable.

If that is not possible is there a way to save which Port connection is linked to a Printer Factory File? As currently I have a different Factory file for each printer on the desktop, where people can quickly select what printer they want to use without having to switch processes and then open a new window to print simultaneously.

Thanks!

The names are generated by Windows, such as COM 5, as devices are enumerated and installed.
Due to this there is no real way to guarantee the same port will be assigned to a particular device.

Return to “Feature Requests”