JLeithauser

Set Default Printing Speed by Material

Right now in any given printer profile, you can set up different materials with process parameters that vary depending on what you're using and that are saved for each material. Things like temperature of the hot end(s), bed temperature, retraction settings, etc... all are tied to specific material configurations within the printer profile.

I think it would be handy to add at the "default printing speed" settings to this list, along with (possibly) the related underspeed knockdowns. I use a lot of CF Nylon and it prints slower typically than some other materials I use for less critical applications, like PLA. The difference in the speed can sometimes cause hours of difference in the overall print time and it's an adjustment I am currently making manually and recording outside the program what speeds I use for what materials. Making the print speed material dependent would make this much easier and save time.

The knockdowns I typically leave alone so I don't know if there would be much benefit to varying those by material but the default print speed I definitely adjust on a fairly regular basis.
jschroeder

Re: Set Default Printing Speed by Material

To comment on this further, the liquifer on most extruders is the limiting factor on how fast you can print with a typical machine. The speed at which material flows through the extruder is a function of mostly the material and somewhat the nozzle diameter (smaller nozzles increase the pressure required to force material through the nozzle, and that pressure can overcome the available force from the extruder). The typical factors which can be used to maximize print speed are:
  • Material (how fast does the material liquify)
  • Nozzle Diameter (and Extrusion Width)
  • Layer height
Once you know how fast material can flow thorugh the extruder for a given nozzle size, whenever you adjust your layer height, you should also adjust you print speed so that the volume of material going into the extruder equals the volume of material exiting the extruder.

It would be nice to see S3D automatically calculate the maximum print speed based on the combination of layer height and extrusion width.

p.s. if you also have a spot for the maximum machine speed (as identified by the manufacturer), then you can have
Bmanderson82

having print speed change w/ saved material type would be nice.

esp when making the transition from say pla to petg.. or even abs/asa.
S3D-Jake

This thread explains how to add speed settings to your material auto-configures. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5977
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”