grue19

brim / skirt from part not ooze shield

hello,

1. i noticed if i use an ooze shield, my brim or skirt of 10 lines only applies to the ooze shield and not the model within the ooze shield. is that normal or can that be something for a future release? (edit, the idea being the brim/skirt helps the model adhere to the bed, but in this case it only helps the ooze shield adhere)

2. what's with the raft printing it's SO slow. i don't see any type of adjustment for example, underspeed like other parts have? also is me or is the raft extrusion amount a LOT like 200% line width or something.

thanks,
S3D-Jake

Re: brim / skirt from part not ooze shield

Thanks for your feature request! I can certainly see how you'd want the part to also have some added adhesion. In situations like those you can use a raft and an oozeshield. I'll certainly keep an eye on your thread to see if more users would prefer the brim / skirt be generated from the part even when using an oozeshield.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
grue19

thanks. we'll see. i found out rafts are supposed to print that slowly ha. i've been thinking about this more as i am getting some warp on the corners of a thin building wall. i think it's probably the best idea to use a raft in these situations. i brim could be beneficial, but i think a raft would accomplish the same thing. thanks
danmaloney365

WORKAROUND - I know many have been frustrated by this. I think I've stumbled on a workaround. I'm doing a dual extruder print of nylon and flexible filament. The print is entirely nylon on the first layers, then a bit of either, finished by only nylon. I require an ooze shield, prime pillar, and brim.

I created a "first layer" process that has a brim attached to the part (0 distance from part), included a prime pillar, but no ooze shield. I set the layer height to .2 mm, and set the "stop printing at height" to 0.3. Yes, 0.3, not the 0.2 layer height. This creates a brim and a prime pillar, but the prime pillar was only sized for one extruder. (The prime pillar will be the right size for subsequent layers). In order to have material under the eventual second half of the prime pillar, i made the skirt large enough to extend the width of the second half of the pillar.

For the remaining dual extruder processes, I set the "start printing at height" to 0.2. Yes 0.2, vertically overlapping the "first layer" process. In these processes, I removed the brim, but added the ooze shield and kept the prime pillar.

Success! The brim runs under the ooze shield and attached firmly to the nylon part, significantly improving print quality. The ooze shield sits on top of the wide brim, and attaches firmly as well.

Note, when preparing to print, you will be warned about the overlap. I ignore the warning and it works.

I don't know if this is a quirk that might be "fixed" in a future version, but it seems to work for now.

I provide this for people waiting for a proper fix, but I would really like an "attach brim to model" option. It would make life so much simpler.

Return to “Feature Requests”