martijnschouten

A way to export all print settings in a non-proprietary format

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

I use Simplify3D to make complicated prints with many processes and many revisions on each of these processes. To better analyse the effect of my changes to these processes I would like to be able export them in a readable format to be able to analyse them using a script. However I run into the problem that there is no good way export all settings in a not proprietary format.

- A factory file is a good solution to rapidly save all settings, however this is a proprietary format.
- fff files are not proprietary, however they have to be exported one by one. Which is very time consuming if you have many processes.
- The gcode files generated by simplify 3d contain the settings, but only of one process.

S3D-Jake

Re: A way to export all print settings in a non-proprietary format

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for your feature request. I'm happy to document this for our development team. What sort of format would you like the settings exported in? CSV, XLS, etc...?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

martijnschouten

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:57 am

That would be great. I think the best way would be to export them in a xml based format, like you are currently doing with the fff files.

Overheal

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:24 am

CSV seems like it would make the most sense, being the most open source manner of doing it - that is, if we only got to choose one output format ;)

S3D-Jake

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've documented the formats mentioned for our developers to look into for bulk settings exports.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

arhi

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 pm

S3D-Jake wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am
Thanks for your feature request. I'm happy to document this for our development team. What sort of format would you like the settings exported in? CSV, XLS, etc...?
*any* format, as long as
- it is 100% documented
- it can be imported back into S3D

I personally think that if it's key/value then INI, if matrix then CSV and if tree then JSON
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

S3D-Jake

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm

How would you feel about just a zip of n selected profiles? You can import them in bulk already by selecting multiple FFF files so this would easily allow you to export each one and import each one. The files can be diffed for viewing changes. Parsing them to CSV might be more of a chore at that point.

Is the idea mainly to export more than one profile at a time or to view all profiles side by side?

arhi

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

S3D-Jake wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm
How would you feel about just a zip of n selected profiles? You can import them in bulk already by selecting multiple FFF files so this would easily allow you to export each one and import each one. The files can be diffed for viewing changes. Parsing them to CSV might be more of a chore at that point.

Is the idea mainly to export more than one profile at a time or to view all profiles side by side?
well zip, xz, 7z, tar, tar.gz. tar.bz2 .. the archive format is irrelevant as long as it can be easily unpacked, I'd personally go with open sourced 7z but who cares :D as the content is important, the profile itself needs to be readable. .factory file for e.g. is not (unless you document it), FFF is readable XML, 100% acceptable for me, so archive of selected profiles each of them as FFF that can also be imported (Import archive of profiles with rename-overrite question if same name already exists / Export selected profiles as archive) is IMO good implementation of this FeatureRequest
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

EvoOlli

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am

I made a small tool for Windows to backup/restore all or some Profiles in FFF Format, reorder them and do a Registry Backup of all S3D Settings (even in Generations).
You can try it if you want. Free Download under

www.wiechens.de/download/S3DTool.zip

(Use at your own risk)

Return to “Feature Requests”