Overheal

Different file icons

So I'm on Windows 7 @ work and for me to distinguish between .gcode and factory files I actually have to go in to an individual file's Properties to see its file extension - Windows Explorer just shows both as a "3D Model File" in the File type column. Can these different file types have unique icons? If not, can the file types have different unique descriptors such as G-Code File or Slicer Project File? Eg. SolidWorks has unique File type descriptions and icons for SLDPRT, SLDASM and SLDDWG. I would like to have unique icons and descriptors for .gcode, .factory and .stl
S3D-Jake

Re: Different file icons

Great point! I'm excited to see if this can get implemented. I too would love to see some sort of visual distinction between the various associated file types the software uses. Thanks for the awesome idea. I've documented it for our development team.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
TheBum

Even something as simple as a letter badge in the corner of the icon would be helpful (e.g. "G" for G-code or "F" for factory file).
wirlybird

You can go to control panel then file explorer options and unhide file extensions. This way you can see the extension.
1.png
1.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 3285 times

Also as a starting point you can change or assign icons to a file type. You can also assign what program is the default for that file type.

A little Googling will help on this.

https://www.faqforge.com/windows/window ... indows-10/
TheBum

That may help the OP, but I'm not sure it would work for me on my Mac.
wirlybird

Never tried on a Mac so I'm no help!
Overheal

wirlybird wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am You can go to control panel then file explorer options and unhide file extensions. This way you can see the extension.
1.png

Also as a starting point you can change or assign icons to a file type. You can also assign what program is the default for that file type.

I don't know if that's allowed by the administrator; certainly a workaround but still feel the distinctions should be native to the software package as it is with other platforms.

edit: can make that change, but it doesn't sort them properly. Explorer lumps all "3D Model Files" together as one type and then alphabetizes them, so if you wanted to group .gcode and .factory separately it's messy.

And .stl aren't an S3D handled file type in my setup apparently :P
Capture.PNG
wirlybird

Overheal wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:47 pm
wirlybird wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am You can go to control panel then file explorer options and unhide file extensions. This way you can see the extension.
1.png

I don't know if that's allowed by the administrator; certainly a workaround but still feel the distinctions should be native to the software package as it is with other platforms.
One problem you will find is that STL, & gcode for instance are too common a file type used by multiple software packages so if you associate gcode to S3D then install another app that can work with gcode files that app may change the association.
Overheal

That shouldn't be a problem here. S3D is what I use for 99% of my .STL opens, the rest being SolidWorks opens and you need to perform that in a funny manner anyway to pull it in as a solid you can manipulate, so having .stl associated with SW is counterproductive.
wirlybird

Overheal wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:47 pm
1.png

edit: can make that change, but it doesn't sort them properly. Explorer lumps all "3D Model Files" together as one type and then alphabetizes them, so if you wanted to group .gcode and .factory separately it's messy.

And .stl aren't an S3D handled file type in my setup apparently :P

Capture.PNG
Check out this little utility. I haven't used it but it is supposed to be good. I think you can use it to change the file type description.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Return to “Feature Requests”