smgriggs

Multiple Extruders and Extrusion Width

What actually changes when I select different extruders for different processes (raft, infill, etc.)?

I have three different extruders defined, all referencing tool 0 and using the same nozzle size. But each extruder definition has a slightly different extrusion multiplier and slightly different manually defined extrusion width. I couldn't see a difference with actual prints, so I've been experimenting by exaggerating the extrusion width, slicing, and looking at the preview. The only place that selecting a different extruder seems to do anything is for the interior infill.

The raft seems to use the primary extruder's nozzle size and ignore the extrusion width no matter what extruder I select.

Interior infill will use the selected infill extruder's extrusion width. But for shells (sides, external infill (top and bottom)) it seems to always just use the primary extruder's extrusion width.

Am I missing something or is this just straight broken?

Scott
S3D-Chris

Re: Multiple Extruders and Extrusion Width

The tool index (T0, T1, etc.) is what tells the 3D printer which extruder to use for a given part of the print. You can assign tool indices to extruders in SiImplify3D in order to have the extruder in the software match the extruder on the printer. If all the extruders have the same index they will all print with the same extruder on the printer.

To learn more about setting up a multi-extruder print check out these links:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... extruders/

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980
smgriggs

S3D-Chris wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:27 pm The tool index (T0, T1, etc.) is what tells the 3D printer which extruder to use for a given part of the print. You can assign tool indices to extruders in SiImplify3D in order to have the extruder in the software match the extruder on the printer. If all the extruders have the same index they will all print with the same extruder on the printer.

To learn more about setting up a multi-extruder print check out these links:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... extruders/

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980
I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a topic that suggested using different extruder definitions pointed to the same tool as a way to use different settings for different processes.

It is my intention to use slightly different extrusion multipliers and extrusion widths for different processes, all using the same physical extruder. As I mentioned, this seems to work as I expected with interior infill, but nothing else.

Specifically, I would like to have different extrusion widths and multipliers for the outlines vs exterior infill (floors and ceilings). Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

Scott
smgriggs

And one more thing, the setting "Infill Extrusion Width" seems to apply only to interior infill, not exterior infill. I don't see any way to control exterior infill.

Scott
S3D-Chris

In that case, yes, this is a concept called virtual extruders. This allows you to assign different extrusion parameters to different features by selecting the virtual extruders for those features. However, this will only work with features where you can select extruders in a dropdown (top and bottom solid layers do not have this option).

Can you provide more details on why you want to change the extrusion width and multiplier for perimeters vs solid layers?
smgriggs

S3D-Chris wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:19 am In that case, yes, this is a concept called virtual extruders. This allows you to assign different extrusion parameters to different features by selecting the virtual extruders for those features. However, this will only work with features where you can select extruders in a dropdown (top and bottom solid layers do not have this option).

Can you provide more details on why you want to change the extrusion width and multiplier for perimeters vs solid layers?
The reason why is that I have prints that seem under-extruded on the walls, and over-extruded on the solid exterior infill. Also I have prints where I need the walls to be sharp, but the solid infill doesn't need to be as nice, so I figured maybe I could save print time by printing the solid infill wider.

I've also had problems with the raft, where extrusion is too thick (because the path traced is too thin) and make slop on the nozzle. There is a drop-down for raft, but the extrusion width seems to be ignored regardless of selected extruder. No matter what extruder I have selected, it always seems to use the extruder's nozzle size (not extrusion width) for the raft.

Thanks,

Scott
smgriggs

Here are a couple of attachments that demonstrate what I'm seeing with the raft.

As for the exterior solid infill, it sounds like you're saying that's simply not a feature of S3D to control it independently of the shells. So I guess that's just a feature request.

Scott
Attachments
Raft - Using Nozzle Diameter.png
Raft - Large Nozzle Size.png
S3D-Chris

Yes, we will submit this as a feature request! In the meantime, it may be worth matching the speeds of your outlines and solid fill in order to get consistent extrusion.

Return to “Feature Requests”