drummaker

Change G-Code During USB Print

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 am

there have been many times when I wished I could change a perameter in the middle of a print.... I would like to see something where you could change a parameter... Say layer width. you would change the parameter tell it to change... the the current layer would be recorded.. print stopped and no gcode would be produced starting at the NEXT layer with the new parameter in force.

I do understand this is likely only to work with USB printing... but I mostly use that anyway

thanks for the consideration

S3D-Jake

Re: Change G-Code During USB Print

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am

Can I ask why you'd want to pause a print and then resume with different settings? Wouldn't you also want to change the extrusion or other settigns for the already printed portion of your model?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

suntornpogasic

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm

The question should be, why wouldn't you want to be able to change settings on the fly. You can already change speed/extrusion/fan settings on the fly, why not the rest. It would really make dialing in a new filament super quick and very accurately. Imagine being able to print a 10 inch high set of pillars and start tweaking the settings little by little until the bridging, stringing etc. is perfect. Would be a huge time saver and headache reliever.

S3D-Jake

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 am

So like an on the fly temperature tower? Have you tried using the Variable Settings Wizard to set one of these tests up ahead of starting a print? It's pretty common already. This guide may help.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... f-a-model/
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

shocksofmighty

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 am

It could be done, but you would need to post-process (or actually compute) the gcode on the fly. If someone had the motivation, an Octoprint plugin could be made to do this. If it was integrated into a slicer you would just have some kind of "callback" to the slicer that would indicate that a layer was completed and the next layer of gcode should be sent. If you change the settings, the queued layer gets recomputed.

Return to “Feature Requests”