aLLmIxEdup

Factory file name generation

It would be useful if there was a way to configure auto-generation of factory file names based on job properties. (Maybe other file types too)

For example, printer, filament profile, job name properties might be incorporated. However there are other 'properties' that might be useful. Date, custom text, etc. In fact no lack of properties you might use...

As for providing some sort of interface to manage this, the best analogy I can think of might be akin to a .mp3 file rename tool. Where you select artist, album, track etc. Something alone those lines.

Managing and organizing the files for 3d printing - especially amongst multiple printers - can be cumbersome. Whilst one might consider some kind of clever RDB approach to managing all this in the software, I think this is a simpler approach, which effectively keeps the problem in the user's domain but provides a means to make it a bit easier to manage files and even save a ton of typing. 8-)

I'll be surprised if this hasn't been requested before, but who knows? Hard to tell from search results I got.

Thanks
S3D-Jake

Re: Factory file name generation

I love this request and I agree. I feel like this has been requested before. I was unable to locate the prior thread. So thanks for the new feature request! :lol:

I'll document this officially and keep this thread tracked so future interest will get recorded for our developers.

Thanks again!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
zemlin

Re: Factory file name generation

That's a good idea. I have a more-or-less file naming convention - much of it could be automated.

I use date (yyyy.mm.dd),[ printer, filament, temp, nozzle size, model name].

2020.03.06[N2 EPETG 245 06 My Parts]

I use that date format so a name sort keeps things in chronological order.

Return to “Feature Requests”