Edwin

[ADDED] Perimeter Shell in a different order Print

Hello,

I use Simplify, because I can also print very fine Struck doors and layer heights with this software and so get a very good quality. To optimize this further I would have to reach an improvement suggestion to the developers to make even more.

I often print with very low layer heights, where even small irregularities or errors become more prominent. So I noticed that the software for each object, the more separate perimeter shells, each individual shell succession always prints on all islands and so goes over and over again diagonal with the nozzle on the part. This leads to the stop points then small imperfections and it longer to print.
Here is a small example.
The rims are for a model car. Be each rim I print several shells at the outer perimeter and an inner perimeter. The layer height is 0.05mm. The first printed layer with 160%.

My suggestion would be if the software could always print all perimeter Shells on a perimeter at once and only then the component moves to the next island and there again all shells prints. Since the printing time for the shells would be approximately halved.

I hope my description is understandable, since I work with an automatic translator.

regards Edwin
KeyboardWarrior

Re: Perimeter Shell in a different order Print

This is definitely a valid request for parts that have tons of perimeter layers, but from what I've found, the way Simplify prints these perimeters it allows for them to solidify which gives an overall better print quality. The Slic3r way of printing whichever perimeter outline is closest gave me tons of prints that showed signs of thermal-issues, too much heat and whether it was melding together and ruining tolerances, or not holding rigidity and not giving a clean print, it almost always sacrificed a ton of print quality for a bit of time saved. It's important that the plastic is allowed time to solidify, otherwise the perimeters next to it and the perimeters on-top of it will just be coming down with more heat and make things exponentially worse. My experience with this has been that I love the way it prints perimeter layers, my prints with a lot of holes(2 to 3 perimeter outlines for each hole) have much better cleaner finishes now.
Edwin

The problem of the connection of the individual layers and the solidification is known to me and I speak. With ABS, it is not a problem and at PLA I use a fan.

It would be especially a significant improvement in quality when the outer layers would be processed without interruptions and the time savings would be a nice addition.
ReneeCelDesigns

This is a hug problem with the software. I am right now printing using makerbot as S3D couldn't do the job due to this problem! the thermal talk is a load of bull for larger items which is where I get the problems... infact any item over 40mm with holes in I start to get problems. I almost got a refund for the software due to this... its so so so very annoying S3D PLEASE FIX ASAP I keep asking!!!!
jimc

so out of curiosity what problems does this cause with your printing? my printer has run every day for the last 14mos and i have never printed a part where the current print order has caused any kind of print quality issue. i have never run into any parts that s3d could not print either. maybe its just me or maybe it affects printers differently than mine. i know every machine has its quirks and is different so just curious what grief this causes you on your end?
gadittri

This is especially a problem with Bowden systems having to retract hundreds of times for one layer. I am trying to print a clock face and is painful to watch the nozzle move from one side to the other just to extrude a few mm of plastic. I don't care how well you dial in your Bowden retracts, your overall print finish will suffer from strings, oozing and holes. Kisslicer does a good job coming up with efficient tool paths but is lacking in other areas. Please give the user the ability to finish entire shell before moving to another side.
rmcniff

I fully agree that this is a badly needed improvement. Being able to print all shells of perimeters at once should at least be added as an option. This may not be much of an issue with direct-drive extruders, but as already mentioned, it definitely is not ideal with bowden extruders. I have a very large rep-rap with a particularly long bowden tube. Blobs and stringing during retractions and moves are pretty much unavoidable. Because of this, surface quality will suffer any time the extruder needs to retract and move. With Creator's current method of printing one shell at a time, the surface quality will suffer by a factor of however many shells you have.

In addition to suffering surface quality, there are two other issues with printing only one shell of each perimeter at a time that make this a less-desirable in some situations. These are print speed and adhesion. If print speed is a factor, then it is is undeniably faster to print all shells of a perimeter at once, as it saves all the time of the unnecessary moves and retractions. As far as adhesion, the more time that a layer or shell is left sitting before printing on top or beside it, the more it cools, and the less the added material is likely to adhere (at least for ABS which I use almost exclusively). For large prints with many disconnected perimeters, quite a lot of time can elapse between when adjacent shells of the same perimeter get printed, which can lead to weaker parts with poor horizontal shell-to-shell adhesion. The slower print speed also does not help vertical layer-to-layer adhesion either.

This issue, and the lack of infill options (especially the stronger hexagonal infill), in my opinion are hands down the two biggest gripes I have with Creator. I was a little shocked after purchasing Creator to discover that such a feature-packed and otherwise awesome piece of software, was lacking these things that I had for so long taken for granted while using other free slicing programs. In the end, I'm torn. After using Creator, with all it's nice features, easy configuration, and super fast slicing, it's hard to go back to the free slicers. At the same time, what's the point of using a nice feature-packed slicer if the end result is is weaker parts that have poorer surface quality, and that take longer to print versus what the free ones could have given you?
JoeJ

This feature was implemented in the latest 2.2 release. The shells now print in the correct order where it finished one whole group of shells first before moving on to the next. So just download the new update if you want this feature.

They also added some great stuff to help improve the strength of the infill and about 100 other things. It was a big update!
Edwin

Thank you,

I have installed the new version and will also try yet.
Right now my printer with the wishes of my wife is filled to the Christmas decorations ......

Return to “Feature Requests”