Lemonzap

Exact speed preview?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm

I've done some searching here and elsewhere and so far been unable to find the answer. Is there a way to see a more exact speed than the color code for a given layer in the print preview?

I'm printing a model right now for which I have "adjust speed for layers below x seconds" enabled. After printing the model I saw that a certain area of underspeed turned out much better than the rest of the model so I want to know what speed it was printing those layers at but I can't seem to find a way to see that other than the color coded speed key. It's rather hard to get a very accurate value out of that because it's slightly translucent and I have to squint and start comparing colors like "I think that part on my model is closer to teal, or maybe that's a sky blue?". The key is good for getting a general idea of the speed in an area but I want to pull a number out for specific layer to do further testing. Is there a way to do that that I haven't found or is this not yet a feature of Simplify3D?

Thanks

parallyze

Re: Exact speed preview?

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi,
Lemonzap wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm
Is there a way to see a more exact speed than the color code for a given layer in the print preview?
actually there is a way to get exact values, the gcode file itself. :)

You can go to the specific layer (search for "; layer xxx" within the gcode file) and have a look at the feed rates:

Code: Select all

G1 X114.639 Y81.134 E0.0144 F1354
F1354 is the feed rate in mm/min (22,57mm/s).

zemlin

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 pm

In short moves that won't be an accurate indication of the true speed of the print head because of acceleration and jerk settings. Those can be in the firmware and not specified by the slicer, which means the slicer would not always be able to predict the true dynamics.

parallyze

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:46 pm

zemlin wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 pm
In short moves that won't be an accurate indication of the true speed of the print head because of acceleration and jerk settings. Those can be in the firmware and not specified by the slicer, which means the slicer would not always be able to predict the true dynamics.
That's true for most time of the print, especially on short segments. But if an object turns out nice at layers which have been slowed down by the automatic speed reduction:
Lemonzap wrote: for which I have "adjust speed for layers below x seconds" enabled
...setting the same values as print speeds should result in the same movement commands inside the gcode file, therefore the same result (independent of the real speed used because of the reasons you've mentioned).

Return to “Feature Requests”