drwilliams

Is there a 'ruler' available?

I love Simplify3d, and use it for all my printers.. This may be something that is already there,, and Im just missing it,, but with all the amazing scaling capabilities, and sizing features,, is there a simple on screen 'RULER' available? I scale my drawings, then have to save them to an external CAD package,, just to get access to a simple ruler, so I can do pre-print measurements.. this would be amazing if I had a ruler available in simplify3d, where I could draw a line across a pat, or component,, and see its length... bonus would be to see it in inches and mm.. many thanks!!!!!
S3D-Jake

Re: Is there a 'ruler' available?

There is not currently a measurement or ruler tool in Simplify3D. This would be extremely useful. I'll make sure our developers keep an eye on this thread for a decent idea of user interest.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Omikron

I would be VERY interested in a built-in ruler measurement between two surfaces or two points. I don't know of any other slicer that does have this, and it would definitely be a very useful tool.
Billzilla

Not exactly what you want, but whenever you modify the part by re-sizing, rotating, etc, the XYZ box shows how large that model is in each dimension.
Omikron

Billzilla wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:53 pm Not exactly what you want, but whenever you modify the part by re-sizing, rotating, etc, the XYZ box shows how large that model is in each dimension.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am aware of that feature, but that doesn't help for models where you want to measure between other surfaces that are not at the extents.
magumbasauce

In talking general measurement tools, I agree all around! being able to measure between parts would be huge, but also being able to show/measure how far a part if from the edges would be useful.

I currently mainly print on a Snapmaker 2 (A350 - the big one). The X/Y is 320x340, but I'm currently building on an inset Ultrabase, which is 310x310. The base has screws and I have printed holders that use the original holes and hold the glass bed in place in the center of the build plate. But in placing my models in the field, I generally have to "guess" and make sure not to get too close to the edge.

I do run a startup script that runs a line purge pretty close to the front edge of the glass bed, so in the preview I can see how the models get reasonably close to that.

What i've also done though is kind of a pain so i don't do it often unless i'm dealing with a TON of models (and i'm ALWAYS printing more than 1 with that large of a bed) is using Tinkercad to duplicate/set up the models, then selecting them all, since what that does is shows the total "bounding box" for everything that is selected. Even that would be helpful since it would show me how deep and wide the set of models I have out are.

I did try messing with offsets for bringing prints inside the box, but i'm not 100% sure how they work. I thought i figured it out once but the generated G-code wasn't quite the same. That's a different discussion though, and probably a different feature (internal bounded area?). But the ruler would solve a ton of things that I do generally!
S3D-Jake

magumbasauce wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:54 am In talking general measurement tools, I agree all around! being able to measure between parts would be huge, but also being able to show/measure how far a part if from the edges would be useful.

I currently mainly print on a Snapmaker 2 (A350 - the big one). The X/Y is 320x340, but I'm currently building on an inset Ultrabase, which is 310x310. The base has screws and I have printed holders that use the original holes and hold the glass bed in place in the center of the build plate. But in placing my models in the field, I generally have to "guess" and make sure not to get too close to the edge.

I do run a startup script that runs a line purge pretty close to the front edge of the glass bed, so in the preview I can see how the models get reasonably close to that.

What i've also done though is kind of a pain so i don't do it often unless i'm dealing with a TON of models (and i'm ALWAYS printing more than 1 with that large of a bed) is using Tinkercad to duplicate/set up the models, then selecting them all, since what that does is shows the total "bounding box" for everything that is selected. Even that would be helpful since it would show me how deep and wide the set of models I have out are.

I did try messing with offsets for bringing prints inside the box, but i'm not 100% sure how they work. I thought i figured it out once but the generated G-code wasn't quite the same. That's a different discussion though, and probably a different feature (internal bounded area?). But the ruler would solve a ton of things that I do generally!
You can also use a custom bed model to outline where the printable area of your Ultrabase is positioned.

Here's how to add the bed model to the correct directory and what to change in your FFF profile: viewtopic.php?t=2356#p12342
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Trickflow

This is what I was coming here to request.
A point to point measurement tool like what I use in Fusion 360 would be amazing for resizing existing parts and checking specific points.
an39hgt

Looks like in version 5, several years later, its still not there.
billyd

I would like this as well

Return to “Feature Requests”