makerjake

[ADDED] LinuxCNC gcode output request

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:12 pm

Feature request for A axis output instead of E. I've been working with linuxCNC for 3D printing for the last couple of months. I'm finding it to be quite challenging to utilize any slicing software to output standard machine gcode as interpreted by LinuxCNC. I have to manually edit each program and change the starting code as well as replacing all E values for A. Having the correct code generated automatically would be fantastic. If anybody else out there is using Linux to run their machine maybe you could chime in with other tweaks I've overlooked.
Jake

bubbasnow

Re: LinuxCNC gcode output request

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:42 pm

So under firmware i created my own profile for the linuxcnc by changing all the S -> P and updating values in my gcode start and end. the only post process i have to do is E -> A conversion and i wrote a simple c# script to do that. if you want the .exe let me know i can send it to ya. it takes the file name and updates it so i can tell which files i have processed.

JoeJ

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:13 am

Can you post your LinuxCNC firmware config and process settings? Might provide a good starting point. Thanks!

makerjake

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey Bubbasnow,
Thanks for posting that screenshot. Our profiles look identical. Also one thing I found is that changing fan speeds or executing m codes in the middle of G really slows down linuxcnc. the M200's execute a lot faster than the 100's but it's not a huge deal. Could you post your script by chance? and which OS are you running Simplify3D? Thanks again.
Jake

prcdslnc13

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Im running LinuxCNC as well. Are you running your .exe in the post process scripts box or outside the code. Id love to grab your .exe as well.

habloIngles

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:05 pm

I emailed support as Im using a modified marlin firmware provided by someone else and it uses A instead of E as well. Go to the scripts tab and in hte post processing section, use this:
{REPLACE "E" "A"}

S3D-Jason

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:15 pm

As noted above, the ability to choose custom E-axis identifiers was added in version 2.2.

For example, place the following commands in your "commands for post-processing" section on the Scripts tab.
{TOOL0REPLACE "E" "A"}
{TOOL1REPLACE "E" "B"}

Or if you only have a single-extruder printer, just use:
{REPLACE "E" "A"}

Return to “Feature Requests”