kjhuebner

Desire FFF Profiles Ease of Use - Sort, Scrollable window, etc.

The FFF profiles are the most essential part of Simplify3D, right? People spend months tuning and creating dozens or hundreds of unique 3D print profiles. As a product developer I know and live this experience.

So why do the FFF profiles seem like an afterthought in Simplify3D?

Here are my suggestions:

Sort the FFF Profiles in a drop down list.

Something as basic as sorting does not exist in Simplify. What gives. As a result, a user cannot readily find a desired profile in a list of dozens or hundreds of profiles.

Solution:
Add alpha-numeric sorting to profile names in the GUI.
Optional: Add group attributes or filtering to profiles, so profiles can be grouped together e.g. for a specific printer, nozzle diameter, temperature, etc. Example: Group=Nozzle_060mm and GUI lists all profiles with nozzle=0.60mm dia.

Increase ease of use for Simplify's FFF Profiles
I should not have to observe my 40 FFF profiles in a tiny, unsorted, dropdown list.
This is truly pathetic.

Solution:
Create a list within a window with a scrollbar. Each item in the list is an FFF profile name. This allows a user to readily see a large group of profiles and access any profile with ease.

People want basic, ease of use features!!! They do not want exotic features that a few people use.
S3D-Jake

Re: Desire FFF Profiles Ease of Use - Sort, Scrollable window, etc.

Great idea! I can only image how much easier the software would become to use with something like this implemented. I've documented your interest in this existing feature request and noted that you have some more detailed views on how to implement it. Our developers will review this.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
rtm2013

Re: Desire FFF Profiles Ease of Use - Sort, Scrollable window, etc.

kjhuebner wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:39 am The FFF profiles are the most essential part of Simplify3D, right? People spend months tuning and creating dozens or hundreds of unique 3D print profiles. As a product developer I know and live this experience.

So why do the FFF profiles seem like an afterthought in Simplify3D?
I completely agree and this is one of the biggest annoyances with S3D.
Right now, I have to use a file naming convention which is over 40 chars long to describe exactly what the profile does and I can't even sort the list alphabetically or chronologically.

Considering the heart of S3D is to be a universal platform for many printers, this really needs to be implemented.
Ideally, being able to create and name folders and subfolders and sort files like we all do in Windows Explorer would mean users could choose how granular to get.

Here's an example of how I would organise my profiles for example:

- Printer (I have 3 machines, one of which is multi-use)
- Filament Diameter
- Extruder (flex, direct, geared etc)
- Hotend (low flow PTFE for PLA, standard flow, high flow etc)
- Nozzle Type (standard, hardened etc)
- Nozzle Diameter
- Filament Brand
- Filament Material
- Filament Colour

Most people wouldn't need so many or such granular groups, but having a customizable tree gives people the choice to how they wish to organise.

Return to “Feature Requests”