curious aardvark

[ADDED] More options for stronger infill.

While the current infill is fast and easy on the printer - it doesn't form a coherent structure inside the model and is consequently very weak.
weakinfill_800x596.jpg
You can see here that the part broke because the infill doesn't add any lateral strength. You cannot break this part at this point with the makerware honeycomb infill.

I'm getting parts previously printed with makerware software - which uses a honeycomb infill that forms a single coherent internal structure - break when printed with simplify3d.

They don't break with the makerware infill.
The current s3d infill makes lots of seperate unconnected layers and doesn't actually make the model very strong.

So can we have some infill options that form a proper interconnected structure inside a model that adds to it's strength please.
JoeJ

Re: More options for stronger infill.

Go to the Infill tab and disable the "random infill placement" option. That will make each layer on infill line up with the ones before it, which creates a much stronger structure
curious aardvark

I'll try that.

Cheers.

ps - still be nice to have some different infill options :-)
JD95

I question the value of random infill placement. It's pretty weak. Whatever the reason there is to offer it, it should be off by default.

I'd like to see square and hex infill. Linear infill at perpendicular angles which is really mostly bridges making for a spongy infill, isn't as good as other slicer's infills which stack solidly on top of each other for all layers, and provide a perpendicular or hex lattice.
jimc

yes, im not sure why thats on by default. maybe there is a purpose for offering it maybe not but whatever it is just keep the box unchecked.
dhylands

Even with random starts turned off, the infill isn't as strong as say the infill done by Cura.

In Cura, it prints both angles on every layer.

Here's a photo which shows the difference. On the left, Cura with 20% infill, on the right Simplify3D with 20% infill.
IMG_20141110_090446.jpg
jimc

As you said s3d doesnt print infill every layer but looking at your print, you have something else going on there where it looks like your stringing between. My infill looks nothing like that. I have solid extrusions for each line and looks more like the cura print. Maybe your temps are a little high or something. Thats not saying that the s3d infill wouldnt be stronger printed on each layer, just that my infill grid is solid and not broken up like in your pic.
KeyboardWarrior

dhylands wrote:Even with random starts turned off, the infill isn't as strong as say the infill done by Cura.

In Cura, it prints both angles on every layer.

Here's a photo which shows the difference. On the left, Cura with 20% infill, on the right Simplify3D with 20% infill.
IMG_20141110_090446.jpg
This looks like Cura is using a higher extrusion width. I think someone recently posted a request for Infill thickness as an option.
dhylands

jimc wrote:As you said s3d doesnt print infill every layer but looking at your print, you have something else going on there where it looks like your stringing between. My infill looks nothing like that. I have solid extrusions for each line and looks more like the cura print. Maybe your temps are a little high or something. Thats not saying that the s3d infill wouldnt be stronger printed on each layer, just that my infill grid is solid and not broken up like in your pic.
I've learned a bunch about temperature and print speeds since I printed those examples. So I should go back and redo them. IIRC they were printed at 210C and 100 mm/sec perimiters (these were the default settings that my printer came with). I now use 190C (although this varies with the filament) and I now use about 30 mm/sec for the perimiters.
curious aardvark

still having strength problens with s3d infill.
It's just got no lateral strength at all.

Basically what it does is print every other layer on the rectilinear infill. So the only solid infill is at the nodes where the lines cross.
And that's what makes it so frigging weak.

makerware's honeycomb infill adds infill for every layer. So even at 10 % it's much stronger than s3d at 40% because the infill is comprised of solid plastic, not a weak mesh with gapping every other layer.

Apart from weirdness with flashforge profiles, that I'm gradually getting to grips with.

This weak infill is my biggest issue with s3d.

Return to “Feature Requests”