jimc

Re: More options for stronger infill.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:47 am

just to touch on what ak said about the infill not touching the inner perimeter. what is going on here is that even though we are setting the infill width to 200%, in reality the width isnt that wide because except for where the lines cross there is a 1 layer gap. the option that s3d gave us for making the infill much stronger and more solid is fantastic but perhaps it gives everyone the wrong idea by the name it was given. its simply extruding a bunch more plastic to fill that empty layer below. this makes the actual extruded width alot narrower than what is plugged into the software. the software is assuming the line width is alot wider so it falls short of the inner perimeter not bonding. the outline overlap needs to be increased to compensate for this. i am printing abs and i found 40% to be right. other printers and plastics may vary. i see you said 50% and you still fall a little short. just increase it a little more until its right. by the pic your real close. i was running my infill at 140% but recently boosted it to 200 and its even better yet. its a very heavy duty grid that is rock solid.

Fred B

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:40 pm

A few more things to try. First, I don't mind the little gaps between the infill directions.

If you want the infill to be stronger print several layers in the same direction. Put 2 or 3 lines at 0 degrees in the infill window followed by 2 or 3 lines at 90 degrees. This will add strength without the odd things that happen with high extrusion width.

I print infill every 30 degrees. This acts more like a hex/honeycomb infill and still prints fairly fast. Two layers each at 0,30,60,90,120,150 and it's fairly strong.

JFettig

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 pm

I'd really like to see it done properly, doing infill in both directions or hexagonal or round(kiss style), the 200% extrusion thing creates a HUGE mess at high speeds, the plastic will hit the layer below and kick up behind the extruder to be hit on the next layer.

3Drasle

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 am

JFettig wrote:I'd really like to see it done properly, doing infill in both directions or hexagonal or round(kiss style), the 200% extrusion thing creates a HUGE mess at high speeds, the plastic will hit the layer below and kick up behind the extruder to be hit on the next layer.
+1
/Michael, Denmark

CT4

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:55 am

+1 for the honeycomb infill. This has been requested almost fro the first posts here and still the developers ignore it I really do not understand why! Afterall Makerware managed to do it so it can't be that hard to program.

laird

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 am

CT4 wrote:+1 for the honeycomb infill. This has been requested almost fro the first posts here and still the developers ignore it I really do not understand why! Afterall Makerware managed to do it so it can't be that hard to program.
+1 the honeycomb.

AndersE

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:37 am

Craftware that is another fast slicer uses triangular infill.
That would also be an option if s3d programmers are lazy ;)

nevarore

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:23 am

+1 the honeycomb ...

BaronWilliams

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:30 pm

+1, just bumping up the thread so it gets viewed more by the Simplify3D engineers. A lot of options were discussed in this thread. Having more choices when it comes to the line layout of the infill pattern will make me happy, whether hexagon, triangle, custom (my preference), etc. The more options the better. The current straight line infill pattern system is a weakness in the software that keeps getting overlooked.

coberdas

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Yes I'm still waiting for the hex infill. Starting to wonder why I paid for this software if they don't listen to our requests. I made a request back when this thread started and still no hex infill. At first they wouldn't do it because they thought hex fill was patent. Just wish they would listen and I would have to agree with the one that said the programmer might not be smart enough to figure it out. Even 3D Slicer which is a Open source slicer created in 2006 figured hex infill out. Come on S3D. Listen to us!! I might try 3D Slicer software.
CTC printer owner

Return to “Feature Requests”