fudgefactor

Support Extrusion Width

Hey y'all,

It would be super helpful in some instances to be able to dial down the extrusion width for support material, much like you can do with infill currently. In situations where I print fat beads with big nozzles, support becomes very difficult to break away. I believe that being able to print supports at half or less of the default extrusion width would make removing supports a lot easier.

Thanks!
michaelsloan

Re: Support Extrusion Width

I would like this feature as well.
zemlin

This can be achieved with a post processing script in the SCRIPTS tab.

{REPLACE "; feature outer perimeter\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature outer perimeter\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature inner perimeter\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature inner perimeter\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature solid layer\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature solid layer\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature support\n" "M221 D0 S80\n; feature support\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature infill\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature infill\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature skirt\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature skirt\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature internal single extrusion\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature internal single extrusion\n"}

will give you an 80% extrusion multiplier (relative to whatever is set in the Extruder tab) for supports.
The other lines are to return the multiplier back to 1 for other feature types.

I understand you want a box where you can type a number, but if you need the functionality this is a way to get it.
fudgefactor

zemlin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 am This can be achieved with a post processing script in the SCRIPTS tab.

{REPLACE "; feature outer perimeter\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature outer perimeter\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature inner perimeter\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature inner perimeter\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature solid layer\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature solid layer\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature support\n" "M221 D0 S80\n; feature support\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature infill\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature infill\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature skirt\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature skirt\n"}
{REPLACE "; feature internal single extrusion\n" "M221 D0 S100\n; feature internal single extrusion\n"}

will give you an 80% extrusion multiplier (relative to whatever is set in the Extruder tab) for supports.
The other lines are to return the multiplier back to 1 for other feature types.

I understand you want a box where you can type a number, but if you need the functionality this is a way to get it.
Thanks! That’s a slick way to tackle the issue!
Sean

Thanks for sharing this. Very useful indeed. It would be great to see it integrated into a feature in the interface but I am going to use this for sure!
sstephan

D0 parameter is only supported in RRF , if you're using marlin its not needed .
also you can add feature "gap fill"
Sean

Question for anyone that knows: Why do you need all the other lines in there? Isn't that redundant? I tried running a test print with just the following in the Terminal Commands box:

"{REPLACE "; feature support\n" "M221 D0 S80\n; feature support\n"}"

It seemed to run just fine and none of the other extrusions appeared to be changed. I examined the .txt of the g-code and it appears that the software sends a "M221 D0 S100" at the beginning of any other feature (perimeters, surfaces. etc.). And it's my understanding that these are "sticky parameters", and all other subsequent moves will use the same value unless another value is provided in the code. Am I missing something here? Can we get away with just the one line of code to modify the support structure extrusion or could that lead to other issues?
S3D-Jake

You can actually adjust the support extrusion width from within Simplify3D already.

1. Create a new Extruder controller in the extruder tab.
2. Assign that extruder to support structures in the supports tab.
3. Set your extrusion width to your liking in the extruder tab with the new extruder controller selected.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
fudgefactor

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm You can actually adjust the support extrusion width from within Simplify3D already.

1. Create a new Extruder controller in the extruder tab.
2. Assign that extruder to support structures in the supports tab.
3. Set your extrusion width to your liking in the extruder tab with the new extruder controller selected.
Do I also need to create a new temperature controller for the new "virtual" extruder or will it use the temperature assigned previously? Will my tool change script be executed when moving between supports and other feature types? Thanks!
S3D-Jake

There is not a need for another temperature controller. The toolchange script will only be executed if you transition between actual tools.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”