ashleywebster

Modifier Mesh

The newest Slic3r has a feature called Modifier Meshes. It basically takes Simplify3D processes one step further. You can import another STL and lay it over your main model and then define slicing overrides where the two models intersect. So with Simplify3D processes you can change printing parameters as you move up the layers. With Slic3r's modifier meshes, you can change printing parameters for any part of your model, in any orientation. I really hope something similar comes to S3D.

I also want to say that I find Slic3r's implementation of this, the idea of having a common base of slicing parameters and then overriding specific settings, to be a bit cleaner. In S3D, if you have say four processes in a setup and then decide you want to change one common setting, you have to change it four times. So also consider implementing a method of 'locking' settings between processes and then just overriding the ones you want to change.
dennisjm

Re: Modifier Mesh

+1. Infill is probably the biggest problem I've faced with the large print I've been working on.
Carl

I was going to post a similar request. I use this all the time in Slic3r and is a big miss from Simplify3D.
Carl

Is there any feedback from S3D on this request?
ianlee74

Carl wrote:Is there any feedback from S3D on this request?
@S3D ??? - I just discovered this feature of Slic3r and am envious. Being able to modify parameters on a layer by layer level is great but being able to define it at the union of two objects opens up a whole new box of capabilities. In case you don't know of the feature we're speaking of, you can see it here:

http://slic3r.org/blog/modifier-meshes

Thanks!

Ian
SPRINGFIELD-JACK

+1
anthem

I too would love to see a similar feature come to S3D. I've been very pleased with S3D's slicing but not so pleased with its configuration. To be perfectly honest, the more accurate slicing and the multiextrusion prime towers are the main reasons I use S3D instead of Slic3r, and this is just one more reason I still have to fall back to using Slic3r sometimes.
TurbulantCalm

Count me in on this one as well.
jbbiomed

Yes!

But seriously, does S3d actually read these?
Carl

Still no reply....?

Return to “Feature Requests”