smartavionics

New addition - mouse ears

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 am

Hi,

Sometimes it is beneficial when printing long thin parts lying down on the bed to give them "mouse ears" to reduce the chance of them warping. Of course, you can add the mouse ears to the design but then when it is sliced, the mouse ear is considered part of the object and so the perimeters go around the disk. Surely, it would be better if the mouse ear disks are butted onto the side of the object being printed so they can be snapped off without ripping the object's perimeter.

So the feature request is to have the ability to interactively add mouse ears to a part and when it is sliced, the mouse ears can be easily separated. Think of them as localised, circular blobs of skirt that can be positioned where required.

Cheers,

Mark

ghiom

Re: New addition - mouse ears

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:33 am

This is a clever idea. i follow this request :)

printbus

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Consider this another vote for the mouse ears request.

TenKOhms

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:09 pm

If I'm understanding your request correctly, I believe you're requesting something such as a brim?

Try going to the Additions tab, changing the skirt outlines to 15, then the skirt offset to 0

ghiom

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 pm

not really,
Brim is everywhere around the object .
Like custom support, sometimes you don't want to have them at some places .
Mouse ears could be created at specified place like custom support .
it's more efficient .

jimc

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:53 pm

i have a folder keep around with different size mouse ears in different thicknesses. when i need one i just grab it, drop it on the table and drag it around to where i want it and slice. there really isnt any special needed within s3d to do this. to be honest though, a while back once they fixed the skirt function so it correctly followed the base of the model i havent used the ears since. nothing wrong with the ears it i just find it easier to just set a brim. it holds the model down everywhere. if i needed something more localized i would still use them though.

smartavionics

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:43 am

jimc, doesn't adding a mouse ear as you describe cause the mouse ears to be merged into the main object? That's what I want to avoid so to minimise the damage to the part when the mouse ears are removed. I agree you can surround the object with a wide skirt and I have done that but it's wasteful if you only want to improve the adhesion in a localised area.

montressor

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:30 am

Add my vote for this feature - or alternately a library of such objects we can lay down

tenaja

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 am

+1

jimc

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:09 pm

it didnt used to merge with the model but its been a long time since i have used one of these so i just checked and tossed an ear on the table and you are right it did merge where it altered the perimeters.

Return to “Feature Requests”