wizechatmgr

Re: Feature Request: Split large models into smaller pieces

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:31 pm

I have to say, this would make life much easier. If we can get this feature it sames a lot of back and forth with other programs.

BTW, great product :)

Hansman

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

I haven't purchased Simplify 3D, but I would totally buy it if it had this feature. I would love to be able to do things like split a full sized T-Rex skull into smaller, printable pieces that could be glued together afterward. This feature could also be designed to ignore large inner/hollow areas and just print the necessary surface components. For example, if someone wanted to print a large sphere, instead of printing large wedges that could be glued together, it could just print pieces of the curved surface. Maybe a lip could be added to the edges to accommodate more glue, or pegs and holes could be created to make the pieces snap together.

FriFra

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:21 pm

I would also like to see that feature.

Aha

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 pm

So a couple different things, if I miss some stuff, it's not intentional.

First, I ran across this video from s3d just this week that I never knew about despite using it for years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1V-5aA03dQ

Since that's not what we're really talking about here, I would love those features. But there are full programs trying to come up with a way to do this and there are TONS of other features we need added to S3d. If there's a way of adding this stuff to S3d without charging $1k for the program with an ongoing cost, I'd certainly love it.

But to anyone trying to look for these split features without using netfabb (I was using netfab yearrrsss ago when I was doing more splitting and it was painful), go to meshmixer. It's free. Further, here's a bunch of programs that will let you do that stuff: https://pinshape.com/blog/learn-how-to- ... 3d-design/

Do feel free to message me if that link helps you or if there's other ideas (I started going down that road but other work not requiring all that has come up).

ProServSolutions

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 pm

I too would like to see the ability to split a part that is too big for the print area into multiple parts directly within Simplify3D software.

PSS

Return to “Feature Requests”