S3D-Jake

Re: Send GCode Directly to OctoPrint

Deneteus wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am I would like the ability to not just send files but to manage batches of files that need to be sent to Octoprint.

Especially when you are trying to print all the parts for another printer and you need to make sure that the next batch that finishes gets sent to the printer. Or in some cases multiple printers. So I can send to 2 or more Octopis based on the batch.
Simplify3D doesn't presently perform batch processing. In this case, how would batch uploads be any different from individual uploads?

Slicing each model / build into printable files and uploading seems it would be just as efficient if the uploading was automated. Assuming, of course, that the octoprint login is linked to each machine's profile. Then depending on which profile was used to slice, the correct network location would be chosen for the upload.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
heschlie

S3D-Jake wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm Thanks so much to all of you who have contributed to the advancement of this topic, as well as those simply interested in the idea and expressing your interest!

Our next update's been teased and more details can be found in our August Development Update post. We plan to provide more frequent updates on current developments going forward.

I'll stoke the flames a bit as well....
If Octoprint integration was to be added what would you say is the most essential feature and how would you like to see that feature implemented?
I would say there are two main things it needs to be able to do:
  • Upload gcode to octoprint
  • Start a print (it should upload and then start as one step)
If it cannot at least do those things, then it is more or less useless. Some additional features that would be nice to have after initial release of octoprint integration:
  • Control printer motion, heaters, homing, etc...
  • View the webcam feed
  • Manage files stored in Octoprint
  • Send arbitrary GCODE commands
I've had trouble recommending S3D to folks new to the hobby with slow updates (4.0 was released well over a year ago, not sure when 4.0.1 was), non-intuitive Linux install (why do I need to run a post install script as a user?) and a high price tag tied to an outdated, inconvenient activation model, just to name a few reasons. This feature would at least breathe some new life into this slicer.
Kotawolf

At this time I would love to get a plug in to send directly to the OctoPrint.

I've tried to use the guide online and it just won't work for me. Nothing happens.
arhi

Kotawolf wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm At this time I would love to get a plug in to send directly to the OctoPrint.

I've tried to use the guide online and it just won't work for me. Nothing happens.
what did you try? what operating system? running with gcodestat is super simple
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
martin1454

Also a vote for this - +1 if it can send to duet also! - Simplify3d is a premium product, so are the duet, - im surprised that they don't work that much better togheter than they currently do.
Pixel

checking back after using simplify3d for over a year now only to be disappointed this thread from 2015 still has no reply if or when we will get this feature.
33phil9

+1 if it can send to duet (DuetWiFi board)
autonumous3D

Integration with OctoPrint.

Be great if i could control my printer using the Simplify3d Machin Control Panel. Maybe see the printer as a network printer. may need an octoprint plugin
Empyreal

+1 on this feature.

I just bought Simplify3d and am still in the eval phase. For the last year (I'm a newb), I've been using Cura, which seemed to work OK for me. But when I started running into some funky retract stuttered printing phenomenon, I finally pulled the trigger on S3D. Hopefully, I'll be happy with it.

This Octoprint integration would strengthen the one area where I see Cura has an advantage.

Thanks!
rodrigomes

kurtnelle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 pm Is there any ability or feature request that currently exists, that will address the issue of being able to send directly to octo print or some other default file system (network or other wise) location?

Edit: Nvmd, I wrote code and solved my problem. Now I can Right click "Print via OctoPrint"
How did you do that, my friend? Could you share the code?

Return to “Feature Requests”