FenianEMT

Send GCode Directly to OctoPrint

It would be great if Simplify3D could use the new REST API in OctoPrint to send generated GCode directly to an OctoPrint instance. The combination of Simplify3D with OctoPrint seems like nearly the perfect 3D printer toolchain, and it would be really nice to reduce some of the friction there.
Geirskogul

Re: Send GCode Directly to OctoPrint

This would be amazing. I already love Simplify3D (just barely beats out MatterControl for me) and having a link to Octoprint, without having to move an SD card between the computer and the raspberry pi, would be very nice.
JoeJ

I'm assuming it would need to know the IP address of the octoprint server though, right?
android78

I've been considering getting simplify lately and wondered about this. I would assume that you can save the gcode directly to a disk, in which case you should be able to just drag and drop that into the octoprint web interface to load it, without the need for an SD transfer?
JoeJ

@android78 - yes, you can always save the gcode to your hard drive and then upload to octoprint. That already works.
JFettig

Its already so simple, just create a directory to save your files to and drag and drop them in a browser, no need to make any changes in S3D, they have plenty of good feature requests already :)
Joao

OctoPrint will release soon a new version where it monitors a ~/.octoprint/watched folder and adds automatically the files dropped there.
And with some manual linux tweaks you can share that folder with your computer where you save the files from S3D for automatically adding.
dsegel

I run S3D on my MacBook and after saving the gcode file I just go to a terminal window and run a script that does:

Code: Select all

scp "$1" pi@192.168.1.108:.octoprint/uploads/
I have ssh keys set up so there's no password to enter. I just run a command like

./putpi.sh base.gcode
and it's done. Another advantage is that it's tons faster than the web interface, which seems to take forever with large gcode files.
Joao

dsegel wrote:I run S3D on my MacBook and after saving the gcode file I just go to a terminal window and run a script that does:

scp "$1" pi@192.168.1.108:.octoprint/uploads/
I have ssh keys set up so there's no password to enter. I just run a command like

./putpi.sh base.gcode
and it's done. Another advantage is that it's tons faster than the web interface, which seems to take forever with large gcode files.
I didn't know it was possible to use the .octoprint/uploads/ folder to drop the files.

Then, I would also suggest to use a local folder that be synced automatically with that remote folder.
With rsync command it would be automatically updated (like a dropbox style), and it could be triggered by monitoring changes to the local folder using for example FSWatch

rsync - http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_rsync.htm
fswatch - https://github.com/emcrisostomo/fswatch
dsegel

You do need to force a refresh on the OctoPrint page for it to show new files in the uploads directory. You can do this by reloading the page (e.g. F5 or command-R) or by deleting any other file in the list from the web page.

Return to “Feature Requests”