JD95

A separate controller-only app for tablets?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:22 pm

I was thinking it would be nice to have a separate S3D controller & preview app for a nice full-graphics controller. I intend to keep using a laptop & desktop for the actual slicing because of the slicing speed and use an SD card from the tablet. I wouldn't mind paying for an app, but preferably without having to spend the full $140 for another license with the slicer.

Edit: $150! Seems like it was a stealth price increase.
Last edited by JD95 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJ

Re: A separate controller-only app for tablets?

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:14 am

I believe the software is already touch screen compatible. I use it on my surface pro all the time :D

JD95

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am

JoeJ wrote:I believe the software is already touch screen compatible. I use it on my surface pro all the time :D
Nice.

If the tablet I try is good enough, I'm weighing getting another license anyway and run two machines with a tablet on each, though I think there's an opportunity for an app tuned for the task of a dedicated machine controller.

SockMonkey

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Make sure the tablet is running a non mobile based processor! They will look very similar, and the RT versions (i think that's what they're called) will even have the Desktop alongside the metro UI, but the windows 8 tablets that run something like a NVIDIA or ARM processor cannot run full desktop applications, such as s3d

JD95

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:50 am

Yeah, that's a good point. My WinBook is an Intel Atom-based processor. I haven't run S3D on it yet, but tried a couple other slicer/controller programs. It seems the market is ripening for a tablet-optimized 3D printer controller app. Well, one that's better than the 3D printing tablet that's out there and (apparently) flailing and failing. The controllers designed for desktop use do work, but pretty awkwardly in my opinion.

I think making a controller that's tablet-optimized would be a much better way to go. And with Microsoft's system, I gather that if you make a tablet-optimized version for the new UI, you can build an ARM version along side it.

I wouldn't mind an Android version though.

Return to “Feature Requests”