rsilvers

[ADDED] Separate out filament from other settings

I used Slic3r before Simplify, and it has one majorly nice thing that I am missing a lot.

Notice how in slic3r you can have a filament name, and then have diameter, extrusion multiplier, and print temp. Great. As it should be.

Then you can have print settings - such as layer thickness, type of infill, type of support. Great.

Then you have your printer settings - one for each printer you own. Great.

With Simplify - these are all mixed together and inseparable. So with Simplify, I can't just have a "high quality 0.1mm slow print speed" profile, as I would need one for each of my filament types. And even if I could figure out how to setup the material change in Simplify, it would not be feasible to have more than one ABS setting. There is no way to associate the extrusion multiplier, for example, with any given roll of material.

That should really be untangled.
JoeJ

Re: Separate out filament from printer and other settings.

Have you used any of S3D's auto-configure options? Because they basically do exactly what you are asking for and more. My favorite part is that they don't restrict you so that only these 3 settings are allowed to be changed for different materials. What if I am using a plastic that requires changes to speeds or retractions settings?! Simplify3D allows you to change any setting that you want for different material and quality options. They aren't intermingled and you can easily create these on your own.

You might want to start by reading this: http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1989

In about 3 seconds I could create a "high quality" option that uses 0.1mm layers and prints at a slower speed. You could also still include all of your filament types so that those settings won't overlap. You can modify the extrusion multiplier for each material. There are plenty of possibilities.
rsilvers

Yeah, I know you can do that. But what you are saying is that instead of just an "ABS," "PLA," "PETG," and "Nylon" button, I need a button for every brand and color of PLA, ABS, PETG, and Nylon that I have if I want the extrusion multiplier to be different for each roll.

And then anytime I want to tweak them to have them evolve, I need to export it, edit the text with a text editor, etc. And anytime I buy a new roll of filament, I need to repeat that entire process and add it as another button or profile. With Slic3r, I just add a new roll of filament as a filament profile without having to duplicate the printer and other settings.

Slic3r does this right and it is one thing holding Simplify back.

Also, it would be cool to get 3D honeycomb infill.
rsilvers

JoeJ wrote:In about 3 seconds I could create a "high quality" option that uses 0.1mm layers and prints at a slower speed
But this new setting would only work for one roll of filament, because the diameter and extrusion multiplier is different for each roll. So that is forcing me to use a Sharpie and write those values onto the spool itself and then re-enter them each time. With Slic3R, I would just have a filament setting called "Octave Blue ABS." There is no way to do that in Simplify unless you save a new profile for each roll of filament, which is a nightmare because then if I evolve a printer settings, say my outline under speed, I have to then remember to go back and add that to every other profile that it applies to.

Filament settings should be independent of unrelated options like layer height and print speed.
JoeJ

I think you're misunderstanding how the auto-configure options work. They are mutually exclusive. I can have quality settings that DO NOT affect my filament (material) settings. So the 0.1mm high quality option that I mentioned earlier WOULD NOT change any of my material settings such as extrusion multiplier, temperature, etc. Those are controlled by the material options.

So the filament settings are already independent of unrelated options like layer height and print speed
rsilvers

I know that changing extrusion multiplier does not change layer height. The main problem with the quick settings in Simplify is that you can't edit and re-export the changes. That was never implemented, so you have to edit the text file.

If that worked, that would go a long way to easing my complaint. Though Slic3r still organizes this stuff more logically by not blowing away your hardware settings if you just want to import a material.
S3D-Jason

As of version 3.0, you can now edit your auto-configure options directly in the GUI. When you make changes, they are automatically remembered. For example, if you changed the infill percentage for High quality to 40%. You can also use the "+" button beside the list of material auto-configure options to add a new material. Just click "+" and then name the material.

Return to “Feature Requests”