steve

[ADDED] Feature request: more macro buttons

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I love the software but I think it would be really useful to have 2 or 3 more macro buttons., particularly for levelling the bed of my M2. I have macro 1,2 & 3 set to home my dial gauge/extruder over the three bed levelling screws. It would be handy if I could set another macro to home the extruder over the centre of the bed and another macro to drop the bed 30mm so I can adjust the Z screw.

Thanks for a quality program,
Steve

13brv3

Re: Feature request: more macro buttons

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 am

I also find the macro buttons very useful. I could probably find a use for a couple more, but what I'd really like to see is a way to label them so I can remember what I set them to. I'm thinking maybe a hover help description that can be entered on the page where you set up the macro.

Cheers,
Rusty

Clayton

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:14 pm

steve - Without ruining the surprise, let me just say that I think the upcoming 1.1.5 release is going to help you out big time ;)

13brv3 - What version of the software are you using? The ability to change the labels for the Macro buttons was added a few versions ago. Go to Tools > Firmware Configuration and select the Macros tab. Then you can set the name to whatever you want (but you probably want to keep is short since it will be displayed on the buttons themselves!)

13brv3

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 am

Clayton wrote: 13brv3 - What version of the software are you using? The ability to change the labels for the Macro buttons was added a few versions ago. Go to Tools > Firmware Configuration and select the Macros tab. Then you can set the name to whatever you want (but you probably want to keep is short since it will be displayed on the buttons themselves!)
LOL! It's official, I'm an idiot... :oops:

I must have tried to change the name in an earlier version, then just assumed it still couldn't be done. I've been running 1.1.4 since it came out, and heading to 1.1.5 now.

Thanks,
Rusty

dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Clayton (and all),

I like the new bed leveling wizard. Provides a nice solution to the real issue, with an expandable list of points even, rather than just addressing the requested feature of 'more macro buttons'. Well done! Plus, it frees up the three macro buttons for other stuff. (Now I need to decide what to use them for!)

A lesson for other software developers: I always love it when, in the software I write, I dig deeper and ask more questions and find out the actual problem the customer is trying to solve, then find a more general solution to the problem. It happens WAY too infrequently, both in general -- leading to "featuritis" bloat -- and in my work, and is a skill I need to work harder at. (My boss is way better at it than I am. That's why he's the boss.)

Thanks for listening, thinking, and making it happen!
Dale

steve

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hello Clayton,

Thanks for looking at the bed levelling issue and for creating a wizard for this process.

However, I would like to make some suggestions for the manually defined levelling positions section of the wizard. Could you add a Z co-ordinate column? This will allow the user to input an offset that will prevent the extruder dragging across the glass when initially levelling the bed.
Also, rather than having to go to each point sequentially, could you allow the location to be selected from the list shown in the manually defined levelling positions window? I like to get the bed level across the Y axis first, and I have to repeatedly move between two co-linear points until the y axis is level, as a “seesaw” effect occurs when you tighten the levelling screws. Then I repeat the process to level across the x axis. Being able to select which point to send the extruder to would be much more efficient

Also, I would still like to see a few more macro buttons, they are very handy :D

Thanks for an excellent product, it just keeps getting better!
Steve.

Return to “Feature Requests”