sstantz

[ADDED] Simply fix to increase strength of Infill

As many of us have indicated in this feature request forum already: although we like Simplify3d and enjoy using it, the infill is a huge weakness. This is the only portion of the program that is lacking, which causes me to not whole-heartedly recommend the software to others.

I would be satisfied with this simple fix:

Place a checkbox in the infill tab "Merge infill angles onto each layer"

By checking the box, whatever infill angles you specify in your angles list will be projected onto every layer. This will remove the problem of having stringy infill, in which the only strong points in the z-axis are where the infill cross-over the layer beneath.

Right now, the only way to get infill of decent strength is to "fake it" by increasing infill width. You can manage to get solid walls of infill this way, but it is only a band-aid. The layers are still not fully bonded by design (look closely at your print preview when you increase infill widths: width is increased, but the slicer is still bridging the infill over empty space).

Simplify3d needs to allow us to project all the infill angles so they occur on every layer. This way, the "infill extrusion width" setting can be used to do what it should: increase infill extrusion widths.
JFettig

Re: Simply fix to increase strength of Infill

100% agreed. I wish they would listen to us on these important feature requests. I've e-mailed them numerous times and they won't touch it.
KC_703

Increasing the infill width helps me achieve a solid wall for infill.

I print primarily in ABS, so use very little cooling from the fan. I'm guessing this helps the extruded filament bond to the previous layer even it wasn't the immediately adjacent layer.

The other thing to consider is the flow rate of the extruded filament... in the Advanced tab, set the "Solid Infill Underspeed" setting lower. This should allow the flow rate out of the extruder to keep up with the speed of the head.
jamezracer

I think the solid infill underspeed only affects the top and bottom solid layers, not the sparse infill. Having %140 or even %180 infill width actually creates very strong sparse infill for me. The issue is then the extruder cannot keep up on the infill and I have to slow the whole process down with the overall nozzle speed. This would really be fixed with a hard limit on filament feed rate instead of nozzle speed which I think warrants its own discussion.
KC_703

That's probably true... so to truly build a solid infill wall, you need to ensure that the X/Y speed is appropriate. So if normally 6000mm/min a decrease to 5800mm/min would be about 80%.

Modifying the infill width still seems to be the easiest way to create the solid wall infill... for every machine and situation its going to be unique. That's the problem with advice on forums, some folks take it too literally and don't treat them as "starting" points.
Dssguy1

jamezracer wrote:I think the solid infill underspeed only affects the top and bottom solid layers, not the sparse infill. Having %140 or even %180 infill width actually creates very strong sparse infill for me. The issue is then the extruder cannot keep up on the infill and I have to slow the whole process down with the overall nozzle speed. This would really be fixed with a hard limit on filament feed rate instead of nozzle speed which I think warrants its own discussion.

I have found 140% to be just fine and not causing issues at 100-120mm/s print speed. You probably have a teflon tube in your printer nozzle instead of a all metal hotend. All metal hotends can hold a lot more heat which is needed to melt that much plastic.
leonpotgieter

Have to agree with sstanz on this one...

I dissuaded 2 customers this week from spending money on Simplify3D until the infill problem is resolved.

Can only imagine that the current setup is optimized for print speed (which is commendable...) but at least give us the option to have proper infill when required instead of the current alternate later bridging pseudo infill which requires all kinds of workarounds to get a decent part.

I switch to other slicers when I need a strong part now... and I make that known to everyone I speak to. Be a pity if Simplify3D don't act on this... its their biggest drawback (apart from a solid product otherwise) and has to be effecting sales negatively.
KC_703

You've done a disservice to your client. Strength of part comes from the design... not the infill. Relying on infill alone to create strength is... well lazy.

First and foremost, design the part properly. This should incorporate the characteristics of the material used for printing. Then slice the project properly. Use the right number of perimeters and upper/lower layers to create a strong shell. Use the tips above to generate a solid infill wall to compliment the properly designed and sliced part.

If using other people's prints, then its even more important to set the project up correctly.

I posted this in a different thread, its the first quantitative report I've ever seen about infill %, patterns and effect on printed parts:
http://my3dmatter.com/influence-infill- ... t-pattern/
leonpotgieter

KC_703 wrote:You've done a disservice to your client. Strength of part comes from the design... not the infill. Relying on infill alone to create strength is... well lazy.

First and foremost, design the part properly. This should incorporate the characteristics of the material used for printing. Then slice the project properly. Use the right number of perimeters and upper/lower layers to create a strong shell. Use the tips above to generate a solid infill wall to compliment the properly designed and sliced part.

If using other people's prints, then its even more important to set the project up correctly.

I posted this in a different thread, its the first quantitative report I've ever seen about infill %, patterns and effect on printed parts:
http://my3dmatter.com/influence-infill- ... t-pattern/
I appreciate where you are coming from and couldn't agree more in general terms, but I respectfully disagree with you if you are defending the Simplify3D infill (I'm not sure if you are)... its not up to me to redesign parts submitted by clients when other slicers deliver results with vastly superior infill and part strength using the same design, printer, material, perimeters etc. If you compare apples with apples, Simplify3D doesn't deliver on this front, and this can be seen in the hundreds of requests for better infill. Cura, Slic3r etc produce great infill with the defaults whilst everyone complains about weak infill and lack of options with resect to infill when it comes to Simplify3D. Yes this can be worked around by fiddling around and ending up with "pseudo/alternate" infill (which granted is very fast), but there shouldn't be any question that its the weakest part of what is otherwise great software.
jimc

i can always get decent infill with s3d even on structural parts BUT be patient. im sure s3d will handle the situation. even though they do not post here, they read everything and know the situation. its been a few good month and are due for an update soon.

Return to “Feature Requests”