G-Code Editor & Pause Command

Post your feature requests here for the developers to see and comment on your favorites
CompoundCarl

Re: G-Code Editor & Pause Command

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:37 am

jeevesme@hotmail.com wrote:Having a pause command that i could use to insert the pause command at layer X would be awesome. I wouldn't have to keep checking my print every X amount of times to see when i need to manually pause the print on the machine.

That's already easy to do. For example, to insert a pause command at layer 57, just add the command below into your "commands for post-processing" section (on the Scripts tab)

{REPLACE "; layer 57\n" "; layer 57\nM0\n"}

That inserts the M0 command right before layer 57 starts, and that will automatically pause the print if you are using USB.

claytonc2001

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:33 pm

I recently purchased Simplify3D because of all the hype. It is very capable, easy to use and extremely customizable. However, I have read several threads where people would refer people to use cura to insert a pause using the "Pause at layer" plugin. What is so hard about adding this into Simplify3D? Everyone wants this feature and it seems pretty easy to implement. I don't want to have to edit the Gcode. And I refuse the use Cura after purchasing Simplify3D for 150 bucks.
Please add this feature in the next release :) or something similar like maybe a customizable pause
I'm using Marlin firmware on my Robo3DR1+. So, M600 (Which has been experimental for several years now), Whats going on with that? A filament change is what I'm really after and M600 is exactly that. It stops, lifts, moves to change location, and waits for your input before continuing. Its better than a pause as a pause will keep the hotend at the exact spot you paused it causing a melted spot which is never good.

parachutist

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 pm

claytonc2001 wrote:I recently purchased Simplify3D because of all the hype. It is very capable, easy to use and extremely customizable. However, I have read several threads where people would refer people to use cura to insert a pause using the "Pause at layer" plugin. What is so hard about adding this into Simplify3D? Everyone wants this feature and it seems pretty easy to implement. I don't want to have to edit the Gcode. And I refuse the use Cura after purchasing Simplify3D for 150 bucks.
Please add this feature in the next release :) or something similar like maybe a customizable pause
I'm using Marlin firmware on my Robo3DR1+. So, M600 (Which has been experimental for several years now), Whats going on with that? A filament change is what I'm really after and M600 is exactly that. It stops, lifts, moves to change location, and waits for your input before continuing. Its better than a pause as a pause will keep the hotend at the exact spot you paused it causing a melted spot which is never good.

Agreed. Apps automate mundane things such as checking syntax to make sure my pause command will do what I intend it to. Is it better for me to wait 4 hours til the print gets to my manually-entered pause command, or better for me to see the pause depicted in the preview screen before I start printing? The latter seems like a superior alternative. Simplify3D should do as its name suggests and simplify the process of pausing at at specific layer.

filip

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 am

Another +1 for both.

Yes, it's already possible to edit the gcode as a post process, and it's easy, but not simple.
After all, you have to dig around forums to even get at the suggested post processing syntax. Definitely not self-explanatory.

(BTW is there any guide or documentation regarding the scripting and the syntax supported other than users' post in the forum?)

CompoundCarl

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 am

All of the scripting commands and options are documented here: https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

theDiver

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 am

+1 and better fancy gcode plugin/adding should be added

Mtech

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Another +1 for both.

It would be really useful to see the generated g code file in simply3d and be able to add g-code for a purpose at X layer and once done show the result in Simply3d preview.
A typo or an incorrect command in the added code could be an expensive mistake or at least an unexpected result.
Seems daft to have to load up the modified g code file into another software package to preview the changes.

Much better to do it in house.

Creative3D

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 pm

+1 for text g-code previewer / editor

Previous
Return to Feature Requests