moo10032

Complex infill managment needed for large prints!

This software really needs an option to have the infill intelligently form only in areas it is required. This would save so much time and material on really large prints. I attached an image to show exactly what I mean.

The infill should be able to slowly form on an interior wall, to meet up to the above surface. If you are printing something 20 inches tall you do not need that much infill... If you make thicker outer walls the only thing infill is for is to be used as a platform for large flat areas to lay down when you get to the top. This should be a must add feature!

The same concept could also be used for support for overhangs that are really high up in the model.

What do you think?
Attachments
infill request.jpg
scobo

Re: Complex infill managment needed for large prints!

Actually, this is a great idea !
I can see how it could save a lot of wasted filament and cut down print times.
Elegoo Neptune 4
Slicers - Simplify3d, Cura
3D modelling - 123D Design, Mesh Mixer
3d scanners - Rivopoint Mini and Pop 2
moo10032

Any more input on this from anyone? It really would be a great feature to add, can't be that hard to implement.
JoeJ

It seems like this might help support the roof, but it does nothing to make the sides of your part stronger. Personally, I would rather have my entire part be strong in all directions than some type of directional support. Also, infill definitely won't support large overhangs like that very well since the sparse spacing will create a lot of drooping. Perimeters act very differently than infill with regards to overhangs like that.
JFettig

I think its absolutely a great idea for certain types of models. I usually just modify my models as necessary to get the desired print.
moo10032

JoeJ wrote:It seems like this might help support the roof, but it does nothing to make the sides of your part stronger. Personally, I would rather have my entire part be strong in all directions than some type of directional support. Also, infill definitely won't support large overhangs like that very well since the sparse spacing will create a lot of drooping. Perimeters act very differently than infill with regards to overhangs like that.
You just add more perimeters for your walls to make them stronger, this would be an extra option, not replacing the normal full infill. Not every print needs high strength, for prototypes or models. I'm building a printer with a 24"x24"x34" print area. A feature like this would save so much time on large objects.

It would easily be able to support large flat tops with this, it would still use the same infill options like density, etc. I'm pretty sure all printers out there can print at least 45 degree angles, for the infill to meet the top surface.

Also think about for more complex models, say a model of a space ship, maybe only a few parts would need infill on the top to create details, instead of having 2 feet of infill just to support a couple small overhangs... just make an inch or 2 of 45 degree infill from the wall. Using 4 perimeters would be plenty strong and thats way more time saving, then full infill.
ProCoPrint3D

I think at some models with a flat roof helps make the next sequence of about 3 or 5 cm before taking the roof but with filling. I just sometimes do in the middle of doing a bridge with the filament and the layers are already glued together (you must do the cooling function for the bridge for the first extruded in the air)
ProCoPrint3D

I think at some models with a flat roof helps make the next sequence of about 3 or 5 cm before taking the roof but with filling. I just sometimes do in the middle of doing a bridge with the filament and the layers are already glued together (you must do the cooling function for the bridge for the first extruded in the air)
Arcadenut

A variable infill would be nice (Yes, I know you can do with multiple processes, etc...) but something automatic would be nice.

For example: Start at the bottom with 1% infill, then as it gets closer to the top the infill could increase to help support overhangs.
bray.christopher

If voting counts, I vote for this feature.

Return to “Feature Requests”