bray.christopher

Re: Complex infill managment needed for large prints!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Even if there was just a "Dense Top Layers" option for infill like there is for support.

Then I could set the infill to 10% with the top 10 layers at 50% and finally the 4-5 layers of roof.

bbinnard

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:02 am

How about....flying buttresses? They worked great for hundreds of years in the real world.

:D

Sorry - I just couldn't resist that one.

I've yet to design any parts that need support material, but I I did I'd try to find a way to incorporate the required support into the overall design of the part. In the example given by the OP, how difficult would it be to add some thin triangles to support the roof, and then take them out by hand when printing is complete?

Of course this would not work for a pre-done/downloaded part, so for that situation the option to have support like the OP suggested generated would be a nice feature.

moo10032

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:09 am

Well why not make simplify3d do that for us? Both infill and support material needs a big overhaul, its just wasted material that could be generated much more efficent. For a $140 program thats not asking too much I think... I've printed several intricate models that required lots of internal infill and external support material to get the desired shape, I did a 14 hour print once on a model space ships. I checked how long the print would be without support and infill, it was like 4 hours, just an example where that model basically had 10 hours print time to get proper support.

checktest

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:54 am

+1

I think this is a great idea. This or something similar should be a high on the priority list of added features.

Instead of changing the location of the infill, another variant on this would be to vary infill density in the Z direction. Currently, parts are printed for the entire height of the part at the chosen infill percent, and then suddenly transition to printing your solid top layers. Higher infill density or more solid top layers helps prevent drooping while bridging across infill and gives you a nice top surface, but at the cost of build time and material.

Instead, you could print most the part at a low infill %, and then over the course of a few layers start incrementally increasing the infill % until you start solid top layers. Essentially a more smooth transition from hollow to solid.
Last edited by checktest on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred B

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 am

I'm thinking about a variable infill that doesn't just support the top of the model.

Think of it like a cake with two layers of frosting on the outside.

The outer layer is the number of perimeters.
The next layer inside is the dense infill (for strength and top support). This would have a thickness variable.
The inner most layer would be the standard open infill.

I think this is a way to use offsets from the existing surface to set up zones for the infill.

Bastiaandenennie

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:18 am

Is there allready any news or solutions for this problem? it would be very handy to have the option only infill where needed for instance.
or the possebility to make a support structure at the inside of your object.

kevinkahn

Sat May 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Along this same theme there is currently an option for print a solid diaphragm every x layers. This option should actually allow printing at least 2 solid diaphragm layers (optionally more) every x layers because you need at least 2 perpendicular direction solid layers to get a real diaphragm. I suspect this should actually be solved as a part of a generally more flexible infill control mechanism. Add a process doesn't really do the job (unless ( am missing something) because it doesn't allow algorithmic switching among the processes - you'd have to manually figure out what layers to switch at which is just too laborious for solving these problems.

InoTek3D

Mon May 30, 2016 7:11 pm

I agree, this is a great idea. The software that is used with industrial printers can do this. Many times there is not a need to have the whole part have a higher infill percentage, but around bolt holes and bosses it is nice to make those areas solid, out to some pre-determined thickness. It would be a great addition if this software could do something similar.

kresty

Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 am

I've done this in the model by adding a void inside the model. Of course if it needs supports that defeats the purpose.

Return to “Feature Requests”