Barafu

How Brim and Ooze shield work together.

New slicer allows us to turn on both Brim and Ooze Shield. Both of them are excellent features when printing ABS without heated bed and when printing exotic materials that warp. There can be several ways how to treat such settings, unfortunately, and the current decision is most useless among them. In current version, brim is added to the shield itself, while the printed part remains totally bareback. We want to use Brim to improve printed part adhesion to table and use the shield to protect part against drafts. Of cause, the heated bed and enclosed chamber would do those jobs better, but it is not every time we can choose.
Typically, we do not require to add more stability to shield. Even if shield warps, it is not a problem. We would want to add brim to the part, so that it does not detach from the bed.
I suggest the change in behaviour. If both Brim and Ooze Shield are on, the brim should be added around the part itself. Then, if brim and shield intersect, the shield should be build on the brim (skipping the number of layers equal to brim height. ) If this is too complicated, the simpler version is for shield to be printed directly on table, and brim to be cut to fit in between shield and part. Or just show an error if they intersect.
For other users: current workaround would be to duplicate the model and squeeze one of the copies to a height of 0.1 mm. Then add brim to this copy and shield to the normal one.
Menissalt

Re: How Brim and Ooze shield work together.

This! I use a heated bed and REALLY want to try the shield but I have to use a brim for every print and as stated a brim on the shield is useless for keeping the part on the bed.
KC_703

I haven't played with the ooze shield, but having the brim extend from the object through the shield would be a nice feature.

Have you tried a lower "Offset from part"? Maybe instead of the default 2mm, try 1 or .5mm... This may not help if you need the brim to anchor the print...
WillMackey

This is a problem for bigger parts too.
My ooze shield is not sticking to the base well so I need to use brim for it. Would be even better if I could merge it with the actual part too. Or then add a feature to have a brim for the ooze shield itself.

Return to “Feature Requests”