innkeeper

Compatability with Smoothieware / smoothieboard

officially support the smoothie controller platform.
fix ongoing issues the community has with hangs between smoothie and simplify3d.
watchimgo

Re: Compatability with Smoothieware / smoothieboard

I am a smoothie board user and have owned a copy of Simplify 3d for more than a year. I would love to see native support for the Smoothie board. I'm using my smoothieboard with a Rigidbot big. My printing results have been fantastic compared to the original Rigidbot controller, but there are some bugs in the interface. Hopefully these will get addressed.
citrik

This would be great if they would support it. I'm currently on RAMPS with my iDelta but I'm moving it over to a SmoothieBoard in the next week or two.
3D Seed BARCELONA

I agree, we use Smoothie EXCLUSIVELY as it's fast stable and OpenSource.. what's the BUG that has been ongoing?
We have had a few problems but I blamed the USB.. is this the issue?
BaudR8

I know of two major bugs that with Smoothieware, not s3d. One is with the second extruder they use a non-standard command to heat up the second hot end. Second is a memory issue they have with G92 E0's, which is setting the E value down to 0. Try disabling the zeroing of E by oging to Process Settings > G-Code and unchecking Allow zeroing of G92 E0
arthurwolf

Hey.

Arthur ( one of the Smoothie devs ) here.

3D Seed BARCELONA : The problem between Simplify3D and Smoothie at this point, causes freezes ( the board answers and blinks, but stops moving ) on high-detail models and/or circles, always at the same point in the print. This has been reported by many users. It occurs only on some 3D models, with some configurations and versions of the firmware.
The problem only occurs with Smoothie, not Marlin or the other 8-bit firmwares, possibly because they are not powerful enough to process the high-detail G-code as fast as Smoothie does.
The problem only occurs with G-code generated by S3D, not that generated by Slic3r, Cura and others. We suspect this could be because S3D ( being younger ) doesn't yet have the small-move-cleaning features those more mature slicers have ( we have seen moves as small as 0.00001mm in S3D G-code, which doesn't really make any practical sense ).
We have tried to work with S3D on solving this issue, but they have been far from cooperative.

BTW : If you want to rule out USB as the source of the problems, play the file from the SD card, or use Ethernet. If the problem still occurs, it's not USB

BaudR8 : I'm really surprised, I have never heard of that G92 bug. Could you please tell me more about it, and even ideally if possible, submit the bug as an issue on github ?
About the problem with M104, that has been fixed a good while ago : https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothi ... 5a83557bb5

Cheers !
innkeeper

what I am referring to is issues that stop prints randomly in mid print, when controlling a print from S3D. pretty widely talked about here and in other forums. I am no expert so beyond that, I cant tell you why. I can say I see it with S3D and not with other tools like ponterface. not saying the other issues don't exist..., they all seem resolvable.
innkeeper

BaudR8 wrote:I know of two major bugs that with Smoothieware, not s3d. One is with the second extruder they use a non-standard command to heat up the second hot end. Second is a memory issue they have with G92 E0's, which is setting the E value down to 0. Try disabling the zeroing of E by oging to Process Settings > G-Code and unchecking Allow zeroing of G92 E0
I don't know about the second extruder non standard heat up, I only have one extruder.
I am considering a second extruder so...what's non standard about it?
what is the standard command and the non standard smoothie uses?

I can say that the G92 E0 command works fine....never had an issue with that and been using it a lot with that option enabled....
when I slice with s3d I always leave that checked, and never had an issue with it.
it sounds a lot like a bug I saw documented that was fixed a year ago.

post some geode that demonstrates this someplace, id love to see this actually see this happen....as I just don't think that problem exists.
doug_scott

Before I make the jump to smoothieware, does s3d and smoothieware play nicely together now that it has been just over 5 years since this was brought up, or is it in the v5 update?
S3D-Jake

doug_scott wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:42 pm Before I make the jump to smoothieware, does s3d and smoothieware play nicely together now that it has been just over 5 years since this was brought up, or is it in the v5 update?
Yep! Go for it, Doug!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”