jmccorm

Feature Request: Area select overrides

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am

I've been working a lot with the adjustable wrench on Thingiverse. Thingiverse actually ranks it as its most popular print:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:139268

What I'm learning from this one particular print is that sometimes setting a print-wide setting really isn't good enough. In order to properly print the screw adjustment in the middle of the print, I need a very solid raft and slow print speeds. Around the neck of the wrench, I want a solid core to give it maximum strength. But everywhere else in the print, I really don't need anything special.

In the interface...
wrench.png
...I wish that I could build zones where rule exceptions apply. So if I build a cube around the screw mechanism inside of Simplify3D, I could apply the properties to it of "reduced speed" so that any time that area is printed, it is done nice and slow. (Probably more advanced would be to apply the speed difference any time the simply travels over that area... or perhaps even to tell it not to produce any gcode where it travels over that area to get to another destination.)

These don't seem to be factors that I can directly put into the object itself, so it kind of make sense (at least to me) that I'm able to put them into the slicer.

Does this explanation make sense?

Return to “Feature Requests”