turbocharged110

Cloud Profile Sync

I currently run Simplify3D on two computers and would like to share settings between the two without having to export/import each time I switch machines.

This is easy with KISSlicer since it saves the settings files to the same directory as the .exe which I have placed in my local Dropbox folder on each machine. When I exit the program on one machine it saves the config files which are then opened on the second machine.

Is there a way to store S3D's config files similarly (on my dropbox or other share drive) so that they are saved/loaded automatically on both machines?
Printer: Rostock Max w/ E3D V5 hotend and lots of upgrades/modifications
razster

Re: Share setting between computers?

Not that I know of. If you need to share a specific profile, you have to export it from one computer and import into the other.

There's already several feature requests on this subject though, so I'm sure the S3D guys are aware of it
turbocharged110

So not as easy as my KISSlicer setup, but I started saving my FFF profiles to my dropbox folder on each machine each time I close the program and reopen it each time I open it. This is a bit of work, but at least I can keep my configuration consistent between machines.
nkloski

It used to be easy in the previous version, as the profile settings were just files that you stored on your computer. If you put those stored files in shared network storage (Google Drive) then it was very easy to shared between computers. I wish that functionality came back!
KC_703

I thought the profiles were stored in the cloud somehow... it was part of the value in having an online account. I've never checked, my workflow for the profiles is to store a version of my final profile to dropbox and re-import when necessary.
jeand

KC_703 wrote:I thought the profiles were stored in the cloud somehow... it was part of the value in having an online account. I've never checked, my workflow for the profiles is to store a version of my final profile to dropbox and re-import when necessary.
Under Windows, Profiles are stored in de registry... Not really the best place to store them.
Imagine you made backup of your personal datas to restore them in case of system failure, registry are not included in your backup, so if you must reinstall your system from scratch, you lose all your profiles.
Of course, you can export them before make a backup but it's not user friendly because default name when you export profile is blank, why not the profile name ? This give the feeling of a half-done software.
BaudR8

You can export any of your existing profiles and reimport them later
jeand

BaudR8 wrote:You can export any of your existing profiles and reimport them later
This in not user friendly.
If users of my softwares are forced to manually export/import configuration or other, my boss gets angry.

1) I select the profile to export
2) Filename is empty. Need to retype it... Booooring...
However, it's really easy to generate a filename.
two.jpg
KC_703

jeand wrote:
BaudR8 wrote: 2) Filename is empty. Need to retype it... Booooring...
But it woooorrrkkkssss!
turbocharged110

KC_703 wrote:
jeand wrote:
BaudR8 wrote: 2) Filename is empty. Need to retype it... Booooring...
But it woooorrrkkkssss!
But it can work better

Return to “Feature Requests”