ovidiu

auto-configure

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am

I find it quite troublesome to figure out what setting gets changed by the "auto-configure" dropdown. A very easy to implement and I believe super user friendly is to colour code the 2 auto configure options and they respective parameters....

It would look smth like this:
2015-08-17_22-47-51.png
Maybe allowing the user to select other parameters to be part of the auto config would be useful as well, but probably more difficult to implement....

KC_703

Re: auto-configure

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:05 am

+1 having the parameters highlighted would be a nice visual of what's available for configuration.

It turns out many more parameters can be added to the "auto-configure" sub-profiles through manual XML editing of the exported profile .fff. For instance print speed can be added to the "Quality" profile along with extrusion multiplier (higher print speed more material). Retract can be added to "Material" profiles.

I haven't come across a comprehensive list, but still keeping my fingers crossed that S3D shares some of the secrets. It seems as though adding the first parameter in the grouping adds the rest of the tags.

JoeJ

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 am

If you go to File > Export FFF Profile and save your profile to the hard drive, the software will write out a .fff file which is just XML. If you open it in a text editor and scroll down to the bottom, you will see exactly what settings get changed for each auto configure section. For example, look at the settings inside the <autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA"> section.

Pretty sure the software lets you change whatever settings you want for each of these auto-configure choices, so if you decide you want to add another setting that is changed by the <autoConfigureMaterial> choice, just add that XML tag into each <autoConfigureMaterial> section. It's really customizable :D

ovidiu

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 pm

The fact that you can really customise what gets "auto" configured is great but having to open config file in text editors and modify them like that? Not saying it's not fun - for those who enjoy such things... - , but for a software that costs $150 I'd expect more user friendly solutions...

KC_703

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I think S3D packs a lot of flexibility into slicing... the ability to have these "auto-configure" presets is icing on the cake. Maybe S3D 10 will have editors and other niceties, but for now focusing on further enhancement of the software from a slicing perspective is what I expect from the $150 investment. :)

BTW - JoeJ is right, a lot of the settings can be manually added... but the key seems to be adding them to all the auto-configure sub-profiles... and also knowing how to use the <global...> parameters.

Attached a sample of what I've been able to figure out for settable parameters...
Attachments
Sample AutoConfigure Quality and Material.txt
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

ovidiu

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:43 am

A document explaining how to manually configure the profiles would be useful. Try/error and guessing, works when the software is free.

KC_703

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am

I agree, a manual would be nice... or guidelines at the very least.

As JoeJ mentioned, I think all the parameters can be inserted to create the auto-configure presets. There are only a few that really apply. And the convention can be confusing... For instance the extrusion multiplier can be added to either Quality or Material, but use different conventions. The ExtrusionMultiplier tag is one that I tested (in the Material profile use normal tag <ExtrusionMultiplier>, in Quality profile use <globalExtrusionMultiplier>). Quality value overrides the Material value... possibly because its a "global" setting?

The other thing is if the parameters are changed, they save automatically... no prompt or indication as with the profiles. I find that the best way to maintain consistency is to re-import the FFF and export a copy of the FFF when a true parameter needs to be changed.

AreDigg

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:30 pm

KC_703 wrote: The ExtrusionMultiplier tag is one that I tested (in the Material profile use normal tag <ExtrusionMultiplier>, in Quality profile use <globalExtrusionMultiplier>). Quality value overrides the Material value... possibly because its a "global" setting?
I think this "feature" is buggy at best. It seem like the extruder-settings can be controlled by either material or quality, but not both (even when not the same settings). The global settings are random. I tried to use the globalExtrusionMultiplier and if I use it on material and have a "extruder" setup without an extrusionMultiplier in quality, only the initial materials (printMaterial) globalExtrusionMultiplier will be used.

CompoundCarl

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:33 am

AreDigg wrote:I think this "feature" is buggy at best. It seem like the extruder-settings can be controlled by either material or quality, but not both (even when not the same settings). The global settings are random. I tried to use the globalExtrusionMultiplier and if I use it on material and have a "extruder" setup without an extrusionMultiplier in quality, only the initial materials (printMaterial) globalExtrusionMultiplier will be used.
That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You can choose whether a setting is changed based on material, quality, or if it remains fixed (i.e. just part of the base profile). You have to pick ONE. It can't be changed by material and quality since that wouldn't make sense.

And yes, if you want material to change the extrusion multiplier, then you need to add the <globalExtrusionMultiplier> tag into EVERY <autoConfigureMaterial> section. If you leave it out of some of them, it won't work correctly.

AreDigg

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:39 pm

CompoundCarl wrote: That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You can choose whether a setting is changed based on material, quality, or if it remains fixed (i.e. just part of the base profile). You have to pick ONE. It can't be changed by material and quality since that wouldn't make sense.

And yes, if you want material to change the extrusion multiplier, then you need to add the <globalExtrusionMultiplier> tag into EVERY <autoConfigureMaterial> section. If you leave it out of some of them, it won't work correctly.
No you are mistaken. I want to set a quality with different nozzle size, and as that is a extruder setting I can't then make a different material setting where I want to turn off retraction or flow. I have 3 layer settings, 6 different nozzle sizes and 15 different materials. Combining layers and nozzle setting lets me create 18 options, but if I want to combine material and nozzle settings, I have to make 90 options!!!!

I had globalExtrusionMultiplier in every material, but still it will only choose the settings from the default material.

Return to “Feature Requests”