CompoundCarl

Re: auto-configure

AreDigg wrote:No you are mistaken. I want to set a quality with different nozzle size, and as that is a extruder setting I can't then make a different material setting where I want to turn off retraction or flow.
If you are setting the nozzle size in your quality options, the you have to define the extruder settings there. For example, I'm guessing you have something like this in each quality section:

Code: Select all

<autoConfigureQuality>
    <extruder name="Primary Extruder">
        <diameter>0.4</diameter>
        ...other extruder settings here
    </extruder>
    ...other quality options
</autoConfigureQuality>
This would mean that you are defining your extruder settings as a function of quality. You can't place the same <extruder> tags inside the material options, since that would mean you placed the <extruder> tag in both places, which is not allowed. So you can't edit the extruder width and diameter in quality and expect to edit the coasting and flow in material settings. You have to pick one or the other and define all extruder settings there.
AreDigg

CompoundCarl wrote: This would mean that you are defining your extruder settings as a function of quality. You can't place the same <extruder> tags inside the material options, since that would mean you placed the <extruder> tag in both places, which is not allowed. So you can't edit the extruder width and diameter in quality and expect to edit the coasting and flow in material settings. You have to pick one or the other and define all extruder settings there.
Yes that is what I am doing, and I have understood that is a limit in the software. However if I try to add a globalExtrusionMultiplier tag to the material section, it works but only for the first "loaded" material, it will not change if I switch to another material. Even if I add the tag to every autoConfigureMaterial section. It will also override whatever setting extrusionMultiplier holds inside the extruder section in quality as well.
KC_703

The multiplier should actually be defined in the Material profile which contain all the extruder tab settings. But I find it convenient to use the "globalExtrusionMultiplier" also.

Seems as though the profile settings are loaded when selected... so picking a new Material profile won't reload the Quality and vice versa. Reload the "Quality" profile by selecting a different profile then going back to the profile you actually want. Or try removing the "multiplier" parameter from your Material profile.
Omikron

+1 for color-coding of settings

At the moment it is very non-intuitive to know what settings are printer-specific, which are material-specific, and which settings are "quality" specific.

PrusaSlicer (and it's better fork SuperSlicer) solve this problem quite nicely by having very clear tabs for settings that are for printers vs. material vs. process.

A very easy feature that can be added is to simply color-code the text of each setting to match a given category, so that one knows where that setting will be saved without having to dive deep into the help or knowledge base articles.

Prusa-slicer also has per-material "override" settings available, which come in handy for specifying filament-specific extrusion multipliers, retraction, and other settings. Considering how differently materials can behave, having a robust material-specific override system is key.

Return to “Feature Requests”