CT4

[ADDED] Top layer Infill Angle

Pleas Please Please...can you put back the option of fill angle on exterior surfaces. It is not always possible to rotate a part in order to get this fill to be straight.
rolfmeijer

Re: Top layer Infill Angle

+

We also missing this option after it disappaered in version 3.0 a lot. We use this for simulating woodgrain on top surfaces. So for now we still have to use v 2.2 for this application and that's messing with our workflow. So please give us this option back!
Jogimus

I'll join to group,.. top layer fill angle adjustment is really important to get perfect looking surface..
Caall99

+1... this is MANDATORY!!! I cannot properly calibrate my JKN Advance K and K2 values in sailfish without being able to do 0, 90, 0, 90 top/solid surface infill.
dorsai3d

Caall99 wrote:+1... this is MANDATORY!!! I cannot properly calibrate my JKN Advance K and K2 values in sailfish without being able to do 0, 90, 0, 90 top/solid surface infill.
Sure you can, just use regular rectilinear infill at 100%, you can set the angles on that. If you need sparse infill below that, just use multiple processes.
Caall99

So you are proposing I change the number of top surfaces to 0, and use rectilinear infill at 100% as a separate process, that only fills the top couple layers? Yeah, you are right, I could do that... But would it be so difficult to incorporate another feature that allows changing surface infill angles directly?
dorsai3d

Caall99 wrote:But would it be so difficult to incorporate another feature that allows changing surface infill angles directly?
I dunno, it's not like I can add features - I just use S3D a lot so I know a lot of ins & outs. But hey, you have a solution right now, rather than waiting however many months for the next update (that may or may not have this added anyways).
Darrell

As a new user to S3D I'll concur that not being able to set outer layer angles is pretty limiting. Even if you use the multiple-process approach (0 top, 0 bottom layers, 100% infill) and capture just the range of Z of the outer layers (advanced settings), you still have these issue:
1) You force other areas on those z-planes that could have had less than 100% infill to have infill (at orientations you may not have wanted)
2) The speed will need to be reduced for the whole layer since the option ("other"/"solid infill speed reduction) will not be used since it is only applied to Top/Bottom layers of a process.

Also, rotating part isn't always a great solution and it doesn't help when you need to control the angle on multiple surfaces at different Z.

In the end this forces you to trade speed/quality in situations where you shouldn't need to choose and makes setting up the slicing that much more complicated/increases opportunity to make a mistake.
guitartoys

After using S3D for years, I now need to jump in on this bandwagon.

It seems crazy that you can set all kinds of angles for the infill, and have no options the top or skin layers. I'm sure this is probably harder to implement than we think, otherwise it would already be there.

However, I am printing some pretty complex models, which have flat surfaces (top layer for that Z) at a number of different heights.

It I were to mess with using a process, with the infill set at 100% for each of those Z heights, I'd ed up with a dozen profiles for each part, and I would have to 1st sort out 3 or 4 layer height for each top plane, which would also take forever.

Can you please just let us know if this is something that's coming, so I can adjust my workflow.

Thanks.
S3D-Jason

I am happy to say that this feature has now been added to version 4.0. If you click "Edit Process Settings" and go to the Infill tab, you can now customize the external infill angles to change the direction of the external fill. By default, the angles will be +45/-45, but you could easily change these to 0/90 or any other angle that you want.

Combining this feature with the new variable settings wizard allows for some really neat prints (check out the image towards the bottom of this page with a custom fill angle for each step of the staircase)
https://www.simplify3d.com/software/rel ... ion-4-0-0/

Return to “Feature Requests”