Enginwiz

[ADDED] Feature request for Stacked Infill

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 am

KISSlicer and Skeinforge can print infill every N perimeter layers.
This leads to high quality surfaces and sturdy infill printed in a short time.
Stacked infill printed every third layer at 0,090 mm layer height
saves about one third of print time. Please consider to offer this
very useful feature in Creator.

Thank you!

sir-mike

Re: Feature request for Stacked Infill

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:56 am

Hey Enginwiz,

it's already there in fff settings -> other ->miscellaneous -> 2nd of the bottom.

Nextgen3D

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 am

Nice, I will have to give that a try :D

Nextgen3D

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:26 am

I have just tried this and I don't think that this is what Enginwiz is after as all this does is print a solid manifold layer ever n layers, at the default layer height.

At the moment, say your layer height is 0.2mm. This means that everything (shells, infills, supports) gets printed at 0.2mm layer height.

KISSlicer and Skeinforge allow you to print your shells at a high quality of say 0.1mm and every thing else at 0.3mm layer height.... therefor saving you a huge amount of time.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Clayton

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 am

Hey guys,

I think you can actually do stacked infill in the software right now, although it is a bit of a hidden feature. Most people only think of adding a new extruder entry into their FFF Settings when they have another physical extruder, but you can actually add another virtual extruder to change how the same toolhead will print infills, supports, etc.

There are 2 key pieces of knowledge you need to know to do this.
  • If you want to make a new virtual extruder, you just need to click "Add Extruder" and then make sure the extruder toolhead number remains unchanged.
  • Once you have a second virtual extruder, the layer height for that extruder will be based on the diameter that you assign to it. For example, if it has twice the diameter of your primary extruder, the layer height will be twice as big as well.
So if you want to do stacked infill, you just need to add a second virtual extruder that the software will use for the infill regions (call it "Virtual Infill Extruder"). Enginwiz, it sounded like you wanted to print 3 outline layers for every 1 infill layer. In this case, just make the Virtual Infill Extruder have 3 times the diameter of the primary extruder. Then go to the Infill tab and choose the infill extruder to be the Virtual Infill Extruder.

If you go make some G-Code at this point, you should be able to see the stacked infill working. But, there's one more change you need to do before printing. In a way, you "tricked" the software into using a different layer height for your virtual extruder by telling it your virtual nozzle had a much larger tip diameter. If you prepare your STL file with automatic extrusion width enabled, you will see this results in a much larger extrusion width. You will probably want to set the extrusion width manually to a more reasonable value and then lower your extrusion multiplier accordingly to make sure you are extruding the right amount of plastic. I don't have a printer in front of me right now to confirm this, but my first guess would be that you need to lower your extrusion multiplier by 1/(n^2), where n is the number of stacked layers you are using (3 in the above example).

So again, this is somewhat hidden but there is a lot you can do about it once you find out. You could change any of your ooze control settings for example and have those apply only to infill regions or to support structures by changing the extruder to the new virtual one you created. Pretty neat stuff.

As always, if you have any ideas about how to streamline this process, we would love to hear it! For example, I know someone suggested just having an explicit layer height override for each extruder so that you don't have to use the fake diameter trick to get your virtual extruder to use a smaller layer height. That's an option, but I would love to hear you guys' feedback if you can think of anything that would be easier and just as versatile.

Nextgen3D

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 am

Clayton you are right, I have just the job to try it on tomorrow.

I have good ABS 0.2mm layer height profile running which I will use for the shells.

I will just need to set up a profile for fill and support at 0.4mm.

Could anyone tell me what the max layer height for a 0.4mm nozzle is ?

S3D-Jason

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:26 am

Stacked infill was added in version 2.0. Just go to the Infill tab and choose to print the infill once every 2 layers. For example, if printing with 0.1mm layer heights, your perimeters would be printed 0.1mm thick, but the infill would be 0.2mm thick since it is only printed every 2 layers

Return to “Feature Requests”