TopJimmyCooks

Re: Slicer behavior for thin walled sections

Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Wow, hadn't been by for a while. This issue is still not improved. Ouch. I mostly design or modify the parts I print so it hasn't been a big issue for me.

seems simple enough - algorithm is
a user set var of yes or no ,
if No and if stl extrusion width < Minimum width per nozzle size then no extrusion
if Yes and if stl extrusion width >= min width nozzle then single extrusion.

{//I just wrote the code ;) }
Maybe a warning message either way, maybe some nice color coding on the preview. maybe some better behaved narrow wall infill.

Simple enough, been done by others/open source, so coding it is not the difficulty. As noted, accuracy arguments are bull, if the stl calls for width >0 and S3D gives width = 0, that ain't accurate either.

If this request is dead, S3D please advise so the asking can end, and we can fire up slic3r for thin walls.
Makerfarm 8" I3v | Clough42 Itty Bitty Double Extruder | RRD Hexagons | Now with More Simplify3D

vertikar

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:16 am

+1 for this, still an issue in 3.1..

inventabuild

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Simplify3D should have the ability to reduce the extrusion volume to something like that analogous to 1/2 the nozzle diameter to fill small gaps.

payala

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am

I also hit this issue when I was trying to fine-tune my extruder by printing a single wall cube... since it never prints a single line of filament, either 0 or 2, it is not possible to use this method.

I am just wondering how do S3D users fine-tune the extruder?

payala

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:14 pm

OK, replying myself over here, vase mode is the solution for what I was trying to do. By enabling it, you can actually print only one perimeter, although for the whole model, so this is a solution just for my particular case for the extruder calibration.

Cheers!

Lagbert

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:00 am

+1

There really needs to be an option to have thin walls printed as a single filament width regardless of actual wall thickness. Maybe a sub-option to center the single line on the wall, the inside of the wall, or the outside of the wall.

gruvin

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi all.

New customer. Loving Simply3D's overall print quality. But yes, this thin wall thing is a MAJOR shortcoming, compared to every other slicer out there..

I wrote about it here.

Slic3r is the only one that seems to handle thin walls well. It has a, "Detect thin walls" setting, switched on by default. Not sure how it works. But once detected, thin walls must be handled completely different to everything else, since all, "walls" do in fact have at least two, "sides" in the 3D model, just as any solid must.

By, "wall" here we are probably referring to cuboids oriented perpendicular to the X/Y plane, having horizontal dimensions less than 2 x nozzle width x 120% (assuming auto width is in use.) However, any "thin wall" with its side planes at an angle greater than about 45º from the X/Y plane would likely be affected in the same way.

The astonishing thing to me is that, after considerable experimenting, it seems crystal clear to me that Simplify3D makes no effort whatsoever to handle the situation. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Not a single beanie. This is both surprising and highly disappointing, considering how good it is everywhere else, as far as far as I have seen to date.

arhi

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm

how much misinformation and plain wrong "engineering statements" in one thread that it hurts ... I understand when this type of talk was happening back 10 years ago but today, 10 years into home printing, slicers... too bad I still have to use old and painfully slow skeinforge as it creates better output then many modern slicers.. including s3d ..

I know the math is not simple but it is not impossible ..

Take this simple example, 0.8mm 8 year old nozzle jammed into crappy rapman extruder prints PP reliably 0.1mm to 1.2mm wide wall in "single go" .. so if you thin wall is 0.1mm it will print it and it will be 0.1mm, if your wall is 0.3mm it will print it again in single go, no need to make 3 0.1mm lines to do it (and definitely don't need to vibrate the hack out of the printer to do it) same for 0.32mm or 0.51mm or 1.15mm or 1.2mm .. each of them can be printed in one single line .. and it is so sad that 10 years into the technology we are still hearing (yelling, in all caps) how it's impossible, you need 0.00001mm nozzle and 5 years to print some super simple part with few thin walls .. yes, math is not simple but cmon...

now the same 0.8mm nozzle that prints PP from 0.1 to 1.2mm can't do the same with for e.g. ABS, there the from-to is much narrower so it goes from 0.4/0.5mm to 1.0/1.1mm depending on the batch of abs and layer height ... the from-to depend a lot from nozzle geometry (a big flat nozzle top will allow you for more width, a narrow sharp nozzle tip won't allow for anything wider then the tip point itself), from the material you are printing (you can't stretch ABS nearly as much as you can stretch PP, I can print PP with 0.05mm wall width but it's not reliable but that's from 0.8mm nozzle, from 0.35mm you can get crazy results.. PLA hugely depends on the manufacturers, I used PLA that can stretch almost like PP without snapping, and I used PLA that can't go below 80% of the nozzle width before snapping... HDPE, natural vs colored - huge difference... )

So yes, it can be done, yes there should be FROM-TO parameters instead of single "width" and yes the software should vary the width of extruded string in order to ideally fill the thin features ... and yes, it is not easy but saying it is impossible is spitting on last 10 years of reprap project :(
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

mroek

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm

I think perhaps the thin-wall beahviour is the absolutely most annoying "feature" of S3D I know of. Filling in thin gaps by "shaking the printer to death by wiggling" is just stupid. And I am not sure they are ever going to fix it either, because I actually doubt that there is much going on at S3D at all...

dorsai3d

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

arhi wrote:Take this simple example, 0.8mm 8 year old nozzle jammed into crappy rapman extruder prints PP reliably 0.1mm to 1.2mm wide wall in "single go" .. so if you thin wall is 0.1mm it will print it and it will be 0.1mm, if your wall is 0.3mm it will print it again in single go, no need to make 3 0.1mm lines to do it (and definitely don't need to vibrate the hack out of the printer to do it) same for 0.32mm or 0.51mm or 1.15mm or 1.2mm .. each of them can be printed in one single line
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I want to believe, but I've never gotten reliable results printing single walls at anything below about 60% of nozzle width, and that even only works in certain cases. Physics just isn't on our side for this.

Return to “Feature Requests”